Battery Bias On Caps?

Wrinkles

What is this trickery?

Marvel mentioned it in an off hand comment thread.

And I recently saw a picture of an individuals crossovers hooked up to a car battery.

I am unclear as to this purpose.

Does it keep the woofer coil warm in winter? [:D]

Wow, I don't know how I missed that thread.

Speakerfritz, when you said in the thread I was directed to "This is the most amazing thing I have heard in a long time" what were your perceptions? I am assuming there was an improvemnt somewhere. Do you remember what exactly you meant?

Do many Klipchers actually do this?

Marvel, please give your opinion once you install of the changes.

For some reason this mod sounds bizarre.

Thanks for the education.

Speakerfritz, when you said in the thread I was directed to "This is the most amazing thing I have heard in a long time" what were your perceptions? I am assuming there was an improvemnt somewhere. Do you remember what exactly you meant?

oh yeah....there was an improvement. Maybe I'll do a few more demo unit's this winter.

Have you compared the one battery method with your three battery method?

I haven't , but it's certainly worth doing so. the one battery method is the method used by most of the production implementations of battery biasing. I think the one battery method is great if you are going to maintain the zero ground reference. My thoughts were to move away from using a zero ground reference and use a floating ground reference. Only difference is in a floating ground reference each side of the cap is driven to a different potential , which only makes sense in an AC circut. The zero ground reference approach is cheaper to do, but only drives one side of the caps while at the same time, tying the different L/C circuts together.

also as a side note...I'm rounding up parts to do a simple SE amp using end to end biased caps, and certainly...using floating ground references is more atractive that zero ground references due to all the high voltages involved and the likely hood of associated circut influences.

What is this trickery?

Marvel mentioned it in an off hand comment thread.

And I recently saw a picture of an individuals crossovers hooked up to a car battery.

I am unclear as to this purpose.

Does it keep the woofer coil warm in winter? Big Smile

The us of a car battery for bias purposes may be, hopefully, out of context. The battery applies very little if any current. Why, then, a car battery? Unless this was a power source for a DC pre amp or something else in the chain. Still, what would need the amp potential of a car battery?

The link over to the Lansing Heritage forum provides some background on the application of bias in some JBL designs. See post #6.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?3555-Bypassed-and-Biased-Capacitors

• 1 year later...

Thanks for bumping.

Interesting.

quote from poster/inventor george timbers on the Lansing site "The sonic effect is one of smoothness, increased spaciallity, detail and stuff like that."

Sounds like an improvement to me.

Thanks for the link DavidF.