cd recorders

If anyone wants to see the specs on this unit, visit this link http://www.superscope-marantzpro.com/pdffiles/cdr631r.pdf Note: this unit has a sample rate converter that will work with 11khz to 56 khz sampling frequency.cwm43.gif Does this mean that I can't utilize the digital optical output of my toshiba dvd player ( sd2700 ) to make copies of my cd's ( I can't remember audio cd's sampling rate displayed, but I know dvd's show a 96khz pcm sample rate ) HELP ! cwm24.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Super_BQ:

Not all PC CD Writers are the same. I have not seen any software that uses the DIGITAL data stream of an audio CD (mostly because most PC cd-roms don't have a digital out interface THAT IS UTILIZED in the computer - interfaced with the sofware). Nevertheless, this is where you get the loss in sound quality as the digital does NOT stay in digital form. Rather it gets converted to a file format (.WAV) and when the cd writing software writes it to the blank CD - then it goes through another conversion process. But at the end of the day, you're probably not going to hear the difference in sound quality compared to a professional stand alone cd writer that writes in from digital to digital (no ADC or DAC in the chain).

just a little news. on new windows system, go to device manager and check your cd drive properties. there's an option to read cdda digitally, ie. if you unplug the audio cable from your cd drive and leave the ide cable, it will sound better (no cheap d/a converter).

you even could turn on error correction option there for better sound from damaged discs.

and no, the proggies don't convert audio data to .wav to copy a cdda. otherwise you can't copy a cdda without a sound card.

------------------

imel

I'd like to ditto the comments on the HHB. I purchased one several years ago and have made several field recordings with it using high end mics through a VT mic preamp. The output was also sent to my Sony RM500 DAT, a superb machine.

The HHB has been 100% reliable and produces wonderful music. Further, it will burn anything you stick in it except pancakes.

Question from above in the thread: I use extraction software to extract CD's to WAV. My understanding is that no transcoding is involved and the soundcard is bypassed, just a header change in the files. This seems to be born out in the output, which sounds significantly better than my CD player (which is not exactly audiophile grade).

Even if I am wrong about this, there is no doubt the files sound better from my computer. I've also dumped DAT>HDD>CD>DAT without any audible degradation useing the above non-transcode methods.

So am I wrong about this?

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Average system component age: 30 years.

Performance: Timeless

quote:

Originally posted by Mallett:

Question from above in the thread: I use extraction software to extract CD's to WAV. My understanding is that no transcoding is involved and the soundcard is bypassed, just a header change in the files. This seems to be born out in the output, which sounds significantly better than my CD player (which is not exactly audiophile grade).

you're right. i need to clarify. what i meant was that, _if_ you had to convert to .wav first, then you must be recording audio signal from the soundcard, which is not the case. soundcards receive audio signal from a cd drive through audio cable.

there's no transcoding need to just copy a cd. all kind of data (including audio) can be read through data interface.

it's just that to read audio tracks, "we" need to use different method. that's why windows explorer can't just copy some tracks.

------------------

imel