cd recorders

I am considering purchasing a cd-r recorder. Should I just get a computer with a good burner or buy the Marantz cdr-631 that I have been considering ? I like the features of the unit in question, but am looking for suggestions in this field as I have no clue as to what would be the smarter / better choice. I currently do not have a computer at home, but may consider purchasing this year. Any suggestions ? Would there be an audible difference between this machine and the cd burners installed in a computer ?

trespasser_guy : This is a rack-mount unit designed for pro audio usage. This cannot be inserted into the case of a computer as the front is almost as big as the computer tower. But that's okay, you didn't know that. I just wanted some opinions on if this would be a good buy or not.

An alternative is to buy an outboard recorder (burner) for your present computer. They connect though the USB port. Quite economical.

One question is whether you plan to just duplicate CDs or make actual live recordings, or from audio sources. That would alter the choices a bit.

Gil

WARNING!!!s>

READ:

A "home" audio (not computer one) NEEDS audio CD-R's or CD-RW's or THEY WILL NOT WORK. This is due to copyright royalty fees. The deal is a AUDIO CD is EXACTLY the same as the cheaper (but just as good, or better) DATA CD's (what a computer CD burner uses)

If you get a non-computer CD burner, you will have to pay 2-5X more per CD to use it. On a computer, you can use the cheap ones with NO PROBLEMS.

Also, a non-computer CD burner is 2X or more expensive. A good computer CD burner is $100-$200, a home audio burner is $400-$1000 and you CANNOT DO DATA BACKUP, etc.

Not to be mean, but it would be foolish to buy a more expensive home audio CD recorder that used more expensive media and had less capabilities.

Eith upgrade your computer or, if you don't want to do it yourself, go to a local computer store and have them do it for you.

-----------------------------------------------

My adgenda:

By buying AUDIO CD's, you are paying a "tax: that goes to the record companies, this money is what is closing file sharing and trying to make life more difficult, even for people who are NOT breaking the law. Also, this tax is funding the music CD protection that puts the distortion on the disc and other such things that we all hate.

-----------------------------------------------

A computer CD writer opened up a new world for me. Need to give someone a picture or file? Throw it on a cheap CD (I pay nothing (free at computer stores on Sunday) to $10 per 100 CD's, never a failure, even on two+ year old discs.) This is also a great backup tool.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Thanks for the info guys. I guess that when I break down and buy a computer, it will definately have to have a cd burner. I just wanted to know if there were any significant differences from the cd burners installed in computers to a stand alone unit. I would use it for making copies of cd's so that when they get scracthed and won't play properly - then I can just throw it out. Not that I plan on leaving my cd's out of the jewel cases - but stuff happens. I remember lending a guy one of my police cd's and it was scratched by the loading mechanism of his car cd player - wow was I pissed - one track wouldn't play properly after that.

ALSO:s>

A normal home CD burner (as of now) is between 24-48X speed. This will let you copy a FULL (all 80 minuits or 700MB) CD in ~2 minuits, a home audio CD burner is between 2-8X (maybe not even 8X.)

When you buy your CD burner (if you don't get it with a new computer), make sure it has BUFFER UNDERUN PROTECTION. On a CD burner that does NOT have this feture (like mineSmile.gif), if the computer has a hiccup (like a quick pause), the CD will fail and be ruined. I have a fast computer, so it doesn't affect me, but if you are buying one now, consider that.

Enjoy! You will be happy with whatever you get, most all CD burners do their job.

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Check out a Lite-On burner. Unbeatable price and performance. I have one a love it. Looking at getting an update from my Lit-On 24x burner for a 40x burner. Right now takes 3 minutes to burn a full cd, 20 minutes on my 8x burner.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

ahhh. yes, however, with a quality burner, one like Plextor's, you don't have this problem. They have burnproofing and buffereunderrun protection. I have the 24x Lite-On and never ever had a problem, and my friends 40x also, no problems. You get the too fast of a burner problem when you have it set to burn 16x on an 8x burner or you have old CD-R's that are only rated for 8x and you burn them on 40x's burners, that happened to me on my 8x using 4x discs, and when i had it set to 12x burning on accident.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

If I may interject.

Kenratboy is saying that stand alone audio CD dupicators will not function unless the record media is the so called "Music CD-R". The cost of those include a licensing fee to make duplication of copyrighted music legal.

I agree that CD-R and Music CD-R seem to have the same performance otherwise. But there must be something in the Music CD-R which allows the stand alone duplication machine to sense that it is a Music CD-R. So it might be inaccurate to say they are identical.

Gil

well, yes. But no cd is truly identical to another Smile.gif IT is just a little extra info on the cd that lets it know. the same type info that lets a CD-ROM know that the CD can not be copied or played in a computer, which is bypassed by writing on the very edge of the readable side of the CD Smile.gif Try Again RIAA Muhahahah Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

just to clarify... the CD's i was refering to, the ones unplayable etc, are the new CD's that have been recently put out to prevent copying and ripping of songs, they work in regular CD players but not one on a computer or one that is a burning cd player. it will not even work in my old SONY CD Player/ROM. This was a neat gadget. It was a walkman CD player, but plug it into your computer via Parralel port and it was your computer's CD rom drive. only think they made them once, and this was some years ago.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Justin, lets liberate this post and go all out computer!

Yes, home audio CD burners NEED (as in require) audio CD's, not very nice.

Also, I made a copy of a program, it was about 600MB. It was on a free CD. The person installed the program fine. Lets think, it a computer CD burner can copy a program that needs to be 100% perfect onto a cheap CD. IT WILL DO MUSIC FINE. There is NO quality difference in CD's. Either it works or it doesn't.

For cheap computer stuff, go to my favorite computer shopping site (below), if you are not a computer geek, have a friend pick the exact item for you, as you need to know the EXACT model # before ordering or you may get somthing wierd. It is the best site, trust me, it has 100's of vendors, there is no favorites, just the lowest prices, but watch out for the bad sites, they can delay your order. I have ordered over $3000 of stuff from the site, and have never had a problem. I also don't use any other computer part buying engine:

PRICEWATCH.COM

------------------

However!

My HiFi is downstairs in the living room.

My computer is upstairs in my office.

I use a stand-alone Marantz CDR-615 pro CD recorder in my main system for copying LPs for the car and Airstream.

I burn copies of CDs on the computer upstairs.

In other words, I need both. I think the Marantz is fantastic for making copies of LPs--reminds me of my youth when I did the same with cassette tapes.

quote:

I have read that burning at too fast a speed can result in errors in the disk ,

I STRONGLY recommend reading this site below:

http://www.emedialive.com/EM2000/starrett5.html

In short it turns out that even the fastest CDR writers produce a better copy than the original Audio CD.

The original poster asked about sound quality differences between a stand-alone vs. PC writers. For the masses most people people won't hear the difference in sound quality. But for those with super high-end stereo setups, the different is very noticeable between which format the audio CDs are copied.

A main feature what you want in a PC CD Writer is the ability for it to do DAO (Disc-at-once) writing which you prepare ALL your audio tracks on your computer's hard drive 1st - and the CD writing software writes the WHOLE disc in ONE session (from beginning to end).

The problem with consumer stand alone cd writers is they write in a mode called TAO (Track-at-Once). which means it records the cd ONE SONG AT AT TIME. You lose the ablility to customize the pause length between in song (fixed at 2 second gaps). Worse of all, when adding the next song to burn, the laser has to re-align where it left off and restart the burn process. It's this part where the laser resume causes that slight GLITCH or POP sound that you home audio CD player will pick up (at high volume).

Not all PC CD Writers are the same. I have not seen any software that uses the DIGITAL data stream of an audio CD (mostly because most PC cd-roms don't have a digital out interface THAT IS UTILIZED in the computer - interfaced with the sofware). Nevertheless, this is where you get the loss in sound quality as the digital does NOT stay in digital form. Rather it gets converted to a file format (.WAV) and when the cd writing software writes it to the blank CD - then it goes through another conversion process. But at the end of the day, you're probably not going to hear the difference in sound quality compared to a professional stand alone cd writer that writes in from digital to digital (no ADC or DAC in the chain).

If you are really concerned about the new copy protection used on audio cds. Then I would recommend buying a PROFESSIONAL stand alone cd writer. Such as the HHB CDR850.

http://www.geocities.com/super_bq/HHB.html

The unit features NO SCMS and is fully balanced. For only a $1000usd it's a steal. It will write on any blank cd you can feed it.

For PC software, i recommend using Exact Audio Copier (shareware last I remember) to copy audio CDs.

BQ

------------------

High-end audio = a way to brainwash you!