Surround back placement

The Dude

Originally I was going to close off my theater room at about 22' but the wife said I wouldn't be happy with a 10' bar area. So I decided to keep it the full 32' which gives me a better back row that I can raise, and a better bar area that will all be in the same room which I am fine with. My question is my surrounds will be approx 17' from my fronts, the surround backs will be celling mounted, which I was just thinking of mounting them symmetrically from side to side. But I didn't know how far back they should go, the side surrounds are fairly large(Gothovers Drift design). I don't think I may even really need the surround backs but why not if its offered right. I could even mount them on the back wall if that wasn't to far. I just didn't know if there was a standard to surround back placement.

Thanks

Duder

If the surround back speakers are large enough performance wise, they should work in your situation. My surround back speakers are around 18-20 ft from the front speakers and worik great. I use towers, but I think something mounted high should not have any obstruction and can be position to have a great reponse. They do offer different effects than the regular surrounds. The way BD are made DTrue HD, DTS, DPIIX, DPIIZ, even stereo will sound ok since 95% of all the information will be in any of the formats, if not more.