I'm a newb!! need recommendations for system

boomer76

My theatre/sports room is roughhly the size of a 20x20 room, the shape of the room is like a top hat, upstairs with 7" high ceiling on all but 1 side of the room where it is beveled in 4foot angle up to 7foot over 4 ft. I want the right system and have no clue where to start. I've read about 5.4 systems 7.2 systems 7.4 systems. I wouldn't even know how to wire them up properly as I only see most AVR receivers with 2 ports for subs. Can buy this stuff overtime so looking to spend up to around 6k, doesn't all have to be brand new stuff, and where are good places to look for the best deals on prices.... Thanks ahead of time![:D]

Welcome to the forum Boomer76!!! This is a matter of opinion, and the questions really should be directed at you. From your ? about 5.4 to 7.4 systems it depends on your preference in surround sound for movies/music/sports. In a 5 channel system you will have 3 speakers in front of you and 2 behind. In a 7 channel, you will have 3 in front , 2 on the side and 2 in the rear.The more channels the more 3D movies/sports/music will sound. You can also choose the 2-channel setup which will net you the best sound quality because your spending more on two speakers rather than 7 or 5. Since your options are .2-.4(2 subs or 4 subs) you must be serious about bass. You can buy sub splitters to hook up more subs to your receiver. I can't really decipher your room shape, and the bass response will be hard for anybody to comment on who is not standing in there with a sub running. But there are people on here with more experience than me that can help you with that. You will get more bang for you $ with used gear in my opinion. You just have to research what you want as far as speakers and amps. Can't really tell you what you want.........you know what I mean. What kind of music do you listen to most, what movies do you like? What are you going to be using this system for most of the time:music?movies?Sports? These Q?'s will help you decide what speakers/amps will work best for you.......and keep posting any ?'s you have.

There are so many speakers and amps to choose from and such a number of different setups that I would need more info from you to give any good guidance for future purchases. It takes time to figure out what will work best with the money you can spend to satisfy your taste. Keep posting questions .........Good luck, and again.......Welcome!!!

Thanks for responding Audio Android. I basically really want a 7.2 to 9.2 system with the most power and quality i can get for up to that 6k mark. I've been reading a whole bunch on the tech side of sound and setup for home theatre. I think that 7.2 or 9.2 for that size of space will more than adequately fullfil my wants and desires. I can always add a couple of subs like you said with splitters. So I guess the next question really is, what is the best bang for the buck, I'm not hell bent on getting the latest and greatest but If i can get close to the sound quality out of 2k than i can for 5k , then thats the route i'm going to go.... So are Reference 2 system to maybe refererence 3 systems better than lets say going to best buy and spending 2000 on their best icon system? The difference in price is about 800 to 1k.... or would it be better than buying a ref 3 over a ref 4 and save 1k that way? or ref 2 compared to ref 4 ?

My theatre/sports room is roughhly the size of a 20x20 room, the shape of the room is like a top hat, upstairs with 7" high ceiling on all but 1 side of the room where it is beveled in 4foot angle up to 7foot over 4 ft.

Well, with only 7" high ceiling, my guess is that you'll be limited to some kind of planar speakers lying on the floor. BTW, the squarish room proportions is going to be terrible for sound/acoustics. Bass problems galore.