Got a University T-30! What to do with it? Need a horn.

Hey Guys!

It's been a while, but inevitably, I found my way back here. I few months ago I got a 15" Lafayette alnico woofer in the box at an auction for $3.00 and held onto it, not knowing what to do with it. It sounds great with guitar, nice and smooth.

Today, I just picked up a University T-30 horn driver at the same auction house for $10 in the original box, and I'm thinking the two could go well together. The driver tests out well- 6.3 ohms DCR on my meter. However, it didn't come with a horn! So, I'm wondering if anyone here knows what horn to use with it, and perhaps if anyone might have one they would be willing to part with for a reasonable price, as I don't have much money. I tried looking on ebay, but only found horns with drivers together, which I don't need. Anyone have a bare horn? It's a screw on type connection- reminds me of the Klipsch K-55 style mounting system. Not sure if it's the same size and threads or not.

Any ideas on crossover curves? I was thinking of crossing over around 1200 or so, but that will depend on the horn too I guess. What would you guys recommend? I was thinking of just letting the woofer run full range, as it sounds pretty smooth, and seems to roll off pretty smoothly. I noticed it actually sounds a little dark for guitar on it's own, so I think it will work out well with the horn.

I forgot to mention, I also have a 12" Electro-Voice SRO Coffee can magnet speaker, which I could use instead, if you guys think it would be a better match.

Any advice you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jon

Ahh the good old Cobra-Flex. Bane of stadiums everywhere..lol. I remember my highschool having those, without any woofers or tweeters, just the midrange! The West End fair that I go to every year still does. Both were the most unintelligible, but LOUD system I have ever heard for it's size. Of course I can't judge it too harshly as it was missing the woofers for the bottom end, and the tweeters for the top, and no doubt the rest of the electronics and mics weren't top notch either. But ugh..when they played the star spangled banner before the demo derby- OY!

Perhaps vintage isn't the way to go after all. Anything that's that loud and obnoxious probably isn't intented for the home. One concern of mine, it looks like this driver is in fact intended as a midrange. What kind of HF extension can I expect with the right horn? Would this work well with a Klipsch heritage horn, say like the K-600 or K-700?

Jon

EDIT: I do think one thing should be mentioned about both Cobra-Flex systems. They are both over 50 years old, and still going strong. That's impressive in my book.

Hey Noah,

Thanks for the offer. I'd like to take you up on that. I'm not really sure what a fair offer would be, as I've never bought one before. I don't want to offend you with a lowball offer as I'm pretty broke..lol. What do you think? BTW,I don't remember, were the K-700s made of metal or plastic?

-Jon

Jon,

I got your offer and it was a good one so I PM'd you back that it's good and I will cover PayPal fees and even some of the Priority Mail shipping charge (shipping will cost you $4.)

I have the horn all boxed up and I am just waiting to hear from you; you have a PM waiting for you.

Noah

Hey Noah,

Thanks for the offer. I'd like to take you up on that. I'm not really sure what a fair offer would be, as I've never bought one before. I don't want to offend you with a lowball offer as I'm pretty broke..lol. What do you think? BTW,I don't remember, were the K-700s made of metal or plastic?

-Jon