Klipsch KG Home Theater

JustTaylor

Hello Everyone,

Over the past 2 years I have been spending every spare minute upgrading, restoring, and tweaking my home theater. I bought an entire KG series home theater. I replaced all of the old capacitors in all 7 speakers. I then replaced all of the stock diaphragms with Crites titanium upgrades (Crites Rules!). I bought a Yamaha RXA-1000 receiver. I then purchased 2 450 watt Audiosource amplifiers with triple darlington output stages for the R/L channels. This amp is used to power my KG4.5. I then used the receiver to power the other 5 speakers (KG3.2,2.5,KV3 center channel). I did some research. Although the Yamaha receiver arguably has the highest fidelity of any receiver I have ever owned, it only tested at about 60 watts/channel with all channels driven into 8 ohms. It sounded very good in my opinion. It was perfect at low to moderate levels and good at reference level. I purchased the Emotiva xpa-5 to even out the power to all channels. I can't believe how good this amp sounds! It has the same fidelity as the Yamaha receiver, but with infinite reserves. I have all 7 speakers crossed over at 80hz and allow my little Velodyne Optimum 10 (1200 watts rms flat to 23hz!) take care of the really low frequencies. I must say it sounds perfect to me. I was looking to buy another Optimum 10 and found an Optimum 12 on sale. It will be delivered next Monday and I will be ready to set up dual subs. I would like to thank everyone involved in this forum. Some really bright and crazy folks here. This place has opened my eyes to the world of true high fidelity. Couldn't have ever done it without the ocean of knowledge available here. I will be posting pictures my next day off. I have spent a few thousand dollars total for a sound system that is up to par with some costing 10 times as much. IMHO Klipsch speakers past and present are hands down the best all around speakers in the world, period.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Congratulations - you have done a wise thing to not chase after the latest and greatest and to stick with the KGs. They offer tremendous value for the buck and look absolutely incredible doing it. I'll bet your system sounds really good! Sit back and enjoy the fruits of your efforts.

Now that you have all the power you need & some to spare ,

try lowering the crossover point between the speakers & the subs

you might Just be surprised on how those woofers in the KG's Wake Up & sing or you .

when I added my Emotiva's to my set-up I lowered the crosses to just above the roll-off points on my speakers ( 40 & 50 )

I was Amazed how much added bass dynamics were now present in my Home Theater .

give it a try you have nothing to lose but a few minutes & you can always reset them back @ 80 ...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this post. It's always nice to hear how other enthusiasts have researched, planned, upgraded, fixed/replaced, and what their experiences in doing so have been. I've been lurking the site for awhile, and finally decided to make an account. I have a pair of 5.5's (first Klipsch speakers & purchased directly from the original owner), and have found them to be wonderful is every way. Even with adding some other Klipsch speakers, I'm blown away all the time at just how good the KG's sound when stacked against "upgrades." I can't imagine having a full room of great KG speakers and I'm truly envious of what your movie experiences must be like.