STR GA7ES causing distortion.

Hello everyone!

Today I popped in a Regina Spektor CD and listened with the volume way up.

I noticed that once I turned it 3/4 of the way, It was distorting on my HBR Heresy's.

I don't think It's clipping, but it very well could be that.

My sony reciever is rated at 90 watts RMS on the front channels, and the klipsch are rated at 105 RMS/500 Peak.

The highs get very distorted and odd sounding, as well as the lows. There are ten notches, the 7-8th point starts distorting pretty much everything.

Any help?

• Moderators

I would guess it's the sony, that's a quick way to fry a speaker. Have any idea of the Db's your playing, "Ten Notches" really means nothing, your probably way into distortion at 7-8. Get a DB meter, there are some cheap phone apps that can give you an idea.

Yes the speakers are rated for more than 90 WPC but not if distortion is present, you can blow your speakers quicker with a 90 wpc amp than a 300 wpc amp because the lower power amp will create distortion much quicker.

dtel sounds like he hit the nail on the head. The amp is under strain and it is common for the woofer and tweeter to not be balanced in this case. The tweeter is usually several db above the woofer. Be careful. There was a guy back in the fall that wanted to see how loud his RF 83 could go. He found out-badly damaged speaker.

If you're using a HT Receiver, set the speaker size to SMALL, it will ease the load on the amp(s). You may want to add a sub to fill in the bottom end, but it sounds like the Sony is straining to produce those SPL's at full range.

Keep us posted,

Dennie