Dual 731 Q

Taz

So I stopped by the stereo store today. Came home with a Dual 731 Q. I went to the internet and read that there is issues with getting replacement cartridges. Gentleman said it has original cartridge and that he can get new needles. Should I be concerned, or just grin and play it as I am doing now. Appears to function fine. Comments pro and con, Please........... Taz

" Gentleman said it has original cartridge and that he can get new needles."

if it's low cost...order one as a spare as opposed to needing one in a year and the gentlemen that said he could get you one changed jobs and now works at McDonalds.

Thank You speakerfritz, Gentleman owns business with his brother and sister, but but good advice as they have reduced hours over the past year. I do worry about the cartridge though. Do you suppose I should see if He can get a one of those also?

Taz

It appears that the Dual 731Q may have come equipped with an Ortofon 60E pickup cartridge as standard equipment. However a glance at the owners manual shows a number of other pickups listed in the setup instructions. I suspect that any "ULM" (ultra low mass as Dual refers to) pickup with standard 1/2" mounting will do fine with the tonearm. There are plenty of these type still manufactured so I wouldn't necessarily worry about a stylus replacement for what ever particular pickup is already on there.

Here's link to a website that has lots of owner and service manuals and other helpful info on vintage turntables. You may have to register to access theany downloads.

http://www.vinylengine.com/

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/dual/cs-731q.shtml

So I stopped by the stereo store today. Came home with a Dual 731 Q. I went to the internet and read that there is issues with getting replacement cartridges. Gentleman said it has original cartridge and that he can get new needles. Should I be concerned, or just grin and play it as I am doing now. Appears to function fine. Comments pro and con, Please........... Taz

This series of the DUAL line used a specially made Ortofon cartridge that was incorporated into the head shell. DUAL named this ULM (ultra low mass) as it was designed to be very lightweight.

Just going by memory there was two or three series of the ULM with three levels of cartridge/stylus build quality. Your model had the ULM 60 and replacement stylus DN160E.

Original replacement stylus from DUAL are long out of stock much less production. If you are offered a “new” stylus then it will be an aftermarket item and subject to unknown quality and specs.

The 714Q (which I use) and the 731Q had a special kit that replaced the head shell to allow mounting a standard ½ inch cartridge. A counter weight plug was part of the kit to add more weight to balance the heavier cartridges.

The original cartridge assembly is very lightweight and compliments the low mass arm quite nicely. It may worth trying to track down a good quality aftermarket stylus. I like the sound though I am still using an oem stylus.

More on the subject:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=335608&highlight=714Q