Plywood question for HDBR or other builders.

HI

Have any of you built any speakers using Aircraft grade plywood? It is more expensive, but lighter and stronger than standard plywood. I have some leftover 12ply 3/8 inch plywood from another project and was thinking of using it to make a lighter weight speaker cabinet.

I am building a sealed cabinet, not a horn load woofer cabinet. I know enough to keep the internal cubic air space the same, but is there any other qualities in thicker plywood that I may loose in using thiner plywood? Should I save my high priced plywood for my next airborne project and buy good old 3/4" plywood for my speaker project?

Thanks,

JM

Generally speaking, lightweight plywood is not the best for speaker cabinets...because lighter weight normally means less density of the material and consistent heavy density is what you are generally looking for so that no flex occurs in the cabinet and the resonance stays down...this also tends to apply to meaning thicker instead of thinner material...something to think about.....besides, the heavier the speaker, the less likely it will transfer harmonics back to the drivers' parts....especially high frequency drivers!!...in other words, the weight wil keep it planted where it is!! I would go with 3/4" nine ply birch(if you want it pretty) or possibly the 3/4" baltic birch...important it is as void-free as possible too.

------------------

I can now receive private messages