Well...well...well

I have had these 4.1's since Christmas morning, and they have never worked in 4 speaker mode with my Audigy...Get a NEW Audigy and the same bad 4 speaker sound. Speakers sound pretty good in 2 mode...Hmmm must be 2 bad Audigys that I ran across...I had read other negative posts about BAD 4.1's, but I was in denial...and I put up with just using 2 speakers and blaming Creative for "crap" XP drivers. BTW I had the latest Creative drivers for XP. Soooo, this past week, I call Klipsch and a helpful young lady there (not Amy) tells me to hook my speakers to another non-computer source. I hook them to my Denon portable CD player and the speakers sound BEAUTIFUL front set and rear... I call back and explain that the suggested test was sucessful and am told "it's not the speakers then"..."it's your soundcard"...So I get a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card (per Justin, he talks the SC up pretty good you know)....Now they sound better in 2 speaker mode, but equally bad in 4 speaker mode. I can't find the words to express my displeasure...Leeb was right, It's the sub. I purchased the 4.1's from Newegg.com. What to do now? I'm going to call tech support at Klipsch and convey my dilemma...if they'll listen? Also any gamers out there that use BattleCom, DO NOT get a Santa Cruz card as it is noisy to the other players that connect to the BC server with you...there is a bleedthru/echo that cannot be removed no matter what. And BigBusa...no need to say you told me so Wink.gif

This message has been edited by gabriel11 on 06-07-2002 at 09:29 PM

but if they sounded great with the Denon, how could it be that they are at fault? could be a mobo problem or OS problem. since these are jus tplaying hwat they get, and when they were connected to the cd player they got good sound and played it that way, you can confirm that the speakers are good, but the computer is at fault, not necessarily the sound card.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

I have seen posts describing similar scenarios...all resolved by new subs. Now if my sats sound good thru an alternative sound source...why can it NOT be the sub that distorts 4 point sound? Remember that when these sats are connected to the CD player, it is in sets of two...not all 4 at once, being given 4 seperate channels thru the subs circuitry. The logical conclusion now is....It's got to be the subs amp.

A stereo to mono Y-splitter? I'll try anything at this point... I have moved my soundcard to several different slots on my ASUS CUSL2-C mobo, to no avail. I also noticed that with both cards, Creative and Turtle Beach, that moving the fader setting away from the CENTERED DEFAULT setting clears up the distortion, but on returning the fader to center, the distortion returns. I thought this was a software issue due to CL's lousy drivers...however, the Turtle Beach card does the same thing. I was thinking SUB problem due to what others have posted, and the fact that the sats (although tested seperately) sounded good with another source...I greatly appreciate any/all time spent by others in my pursuit of Klipsch listening bliss.

This message has been edited by gabriel11 on 06-08-2002 at 08:33 AM

Actually a 2-stereo mini plugs to 1 stereo mini plug Y-splitter. Mono would do no good. You an find these at any Radio Shack and most electronics stores.

------------------

Have a sound prob? Visit SoundWise for help.

Still have sound probs? Email Amy or call at 1-888-554-5665.

Yes, it is a Mini stereo to Mini stere Y adapter. a single piece of plastic that has one male end and two female ends.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Dang Justin...No Radio Shack part #? You're slipping Wink.gifAnyway I was confused about the mono y-adapter because of the speaker wire mod.... Doh! Anyway, if I try this and the sound is fine am I then to believe that it is absolutely NOT the speakers (sats or sub)? and that it must be a mobo problem... I have had this ASUS alittle over a year now and I have not updated the BIOS. Although I'm not sure if that would have any bearing on a problem such as this? Wouldn't it be more of a PCI slot problem, rather than the entire board?

haha, here you go Smile.gif

Y-Adapter

$3.99 Reg. Price

Cat.#: 274-375

274-375.jpg

quote:

Accepts two 1/8" mono phone plugs

Fits 1/8" stereo phone jack

Lets you connect two full-size headphones to your home stereo.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Wrong plug Justin...but thx anyway...I have a Gateway PII 233...Win 98se and a CL Soundblaster Live Value card. That supports 4.1 doesn't it? Well, I'm going to dig it out of storage and give that a whirl as well...if I get bad 4 speaker sound then, can I assume it's the sub?

oops. well that is what it looks like at least Smile.gif

Dual 1/8" Jack Adapter

$3.99 Reg. Price

Cat.#: 274-313

274-313.jpg

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

yes, if it sounds like poo, than there must be something wrong with the amp. when they worked with the Denon cd player... were they being powered through the sub or did you have an external amp? if you had an external amp and not just the portable cd player, that changes everything.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

quote:

Originally posted by gabriel11:

I unplugged the wires from the soundcard and connected front first, then rear, directly to the portable cd player.

ok, good. that means that in that test, the amp was A-OK.

it is starting to rain at my house now Smile.gif i love rain. just FYI haha

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

quote:

Originally posted by justin_tx_16:

it is starting to rain at my house now
Smile.gif
i love rain. just FYI haha

If you really love rain then move to Louisiana. Hell, if it really *rains*, you need a boat to go anywhere Frown.gif

- Hardy

Justin OI have purchased the adapter but have not used it...I am going to hook the speakers to an entirely different machine...and the test you are having me do with the portable cd player...fails to test the speakers in a "surround sound" mode. Remember I can adjust the distortion away in surround with a 4 speaker fader in Audigy or Turtle Beach mixer. But centered sounds awful...I think it's a surround sound issue..and hence prolly the amp.