Speaker placement question

davestef

When I bought my heresys off Craigslist the guy gave me a free pioneer solid state receiver. What it has that my old tube amp doesn't is an output for two pairs of speakers instead of just one. I have Cornwalls also and I'm trying to figure out where to put the speakers. I first tried them with the Cornwalls to the left and right and the heresys as left center and right center and tilted back so they point to ear level. To me it sounded like a wall of sound it was awesome. Right now I have the heresys on top of the Cornwalls and tilted down so they face ear level. I thought it might sound cooler like you're at a concert with the speakers hanging from the ceiling or whatever but it sounds more like the heresys lose their power when they're that high in the air. Maybe cause the bass has no ground to roll on? Anyway I'm sure there are lots of possible arrangements , but has anyone messed around with this sort of set up and found out any arrangements that work well? I'm in the mood for experimenting.

A couple other things. The amp lets you pick speakers a or b or both and it also has a watt usage meter. I'm curious why when i play sound through either a or b speakers and then turn both pairs on at the same time the watt meter stays the same, but the volume of two pairs of speakers is so much greater and the pair that's originally stays at the same volume too.

Also the heresys sound a little bit quieter than the Cornwalls when both pairs are playing at the same time. Is that cause the Cornwalls are more efficient? How is that so, since the Cornwalls have larger bass woofers. Is it the crossover? Just curious.

When I bought my heresys off Craigslist the guy gave me a free pioneer solid state receiver. What it has that my old tube amp doesn't is an output for two pairs of speakers instead of just one. I have Cornwalls also and I'm trying to figure out where to put the speakers. I first tried them with the Cornwalls to the left and right and the heresys as left center and right center and tilted back so they point to ear level. To me it sounded like a wall of sound it was awesome. Right now I have the heresys on top of the Cornwalls and tilted down so they face ear level. I thought it might sound cooler like you're at a concert with the speakers hanging from the ceiling or whatever but it sounds more like the heresys lose their power when they're that high in the air. Maybe cause the bass has no ground to roll on? Anyway I'm sure there are lots of possible arrangements , but has anyone messed around with this sort of set up and found out any arrangements that work well? I'm in the mood for experimenting.

A couple other things. The amp lets you pick speakers a or b or both and it also has a watt usage meter. I'm curious why when i play sound through either a or b speakers and then turn both pairs on at the same time the watt meter stays the same, but the volume of two pairs of speakers is so much greater and the pair that's originally stays at the same volume too.

Also the heresys sound a little bit quieter than the Cornwalls when both pairs are playing at the same time. Is that cause the Cornwalls are more efficient? How is that so, since the Cornwalls have larger bass woofers. Is it the crossover? Just curious.

Hi,

Is it an old or newer pioneer and the model would count. You appear to have enough power to drive them. Magnet size displacing ohm exists.The physical size diff. could account for the volume and crossover could make a diff. if allows hearing the complete bandwidth. Having no Heresy, I can only read about it here for now. Have listened to two forum members Heresies.The Heresy stacks and tilts in mysterious ways, I hear. The Pioneer brand has a following here as you may know.

[8]It must sound good!

The ability to drive 4 is an advantage to be sure [8] Sorry I couldn't help. I have to go

The Cornwalls are 102 dB speakers, the Heresys are 94-96 dB, so there is a big difference in volume at the same power. Also, I assume that amp merely parallels the speakers to the output, so the amp is driving 8 ohms with either pair alone and 4 ohms when A+B are driven. Last point, I believe the Heresy IIs were all 4 ohm speakers (at least mine are).