How do "YOU" do it???

vandec54

Okay hopefully the catchy title to this post got your attention to a serious matter at hand.....

I am hanging a flat screen on the wall and will have components on a stand below. It is all new construction so I don't necessarily need "easy mount" brackets (can use a box nailed to a stud).

what type of media wall plate do you use? I gather I would need one that has a power, HDMI and some sort of audio connection (for TV sound during cable watching) mounted behind the TV monitor. I found this, is it good? Is there anything better?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042513&p_id=8475&seq=1&format=2

I would also need an additional one at floor level to feed cables from my receiver???

What else am I not thinking of? Thank you

That is one way to do it.

What I did was to use "old construction" electrical boxes. You buy them from your local big box home improvement store. Use 2 at each location, both behind the TV and on the floor. You simply measure where you want to put them, use a dry wall knife to cut the hole then slide the box in the hole. It has ears that open up behind the drywall and securly mount the box into the wall. I use one for low voltage and one for the power outlet. Single boxes are easier to get connection plates for with connectors pre installed but modular systems are available for custom configuration.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10425

Recessed outlets are nice but not mandatory as your mount isn't perfectly flush to the wall and you can use 90 deg connectors and plugs to maintain a low profile, but depending on your mount, they may not be need.

In truth I bought all the stuff to mount my TV to the wall but wound up getting a stand on Craigs list for $100 that was only a few months old which included a mount for the TV above the top shelf, it was a lot less to mess with and it was an easier soultion for TV viewing than going with a wall mount. Not all situations allow this though, like my parrents home, they wanted the TV above the fireplace so my stand would not work for them. they had a built in shelf unit next to the fireplace and there was only about 6 inches of cable visable between the TV and the shelfs so they did not mess with outlet boxes.

My unit is similr to this one, mine is also a Z mount.

http://www.z-lineracing.com/product/89-Vitoria-Flat-Panel-TV-Stand-with-Integrated-Mount

EDIT:

An additional feature of the stand such as I purchased is that it is a tilt and swivel type mount, it can turn about 20 deg side to side, to avoid reflections or to allow better viewing in an off axis situation.

I tried some out of the box thinking and it landed really well. I happen to be putting my flat screen over the top of a natural stone fireplace and didn't want to drill into the stone. I found a Peerless ceiling hanging kit and ended up drilling a 2" diameter hole in my ceiling. The "pipe" mounts up inside my attic to the cross beams. The Peerless kit came with a beauty ring to cover the hole and make it look like a professional installation. All of my wiring (HDMI, Component cables, etc.) goes from my AVR...up the wall thru one of those wall plates like you show from Monoprice and then it comes down inside the black "pipe" and directly into the back of my TV. It's crazy clean...no visible wires and on an 8 foot ceiling, all you see is about 10 inches of the black pipe above the TV which easily disappers into the background. If I ever sell the house, all I have is a 2" hole in the ceiling to cover up. I've already checked and it doesn't get hot enough above my fireplace so my TV's safe. Ceiling mount was cheap, cheap, cheap and looks awesome! I have electrical boxes in my attic for the TV to plug into so again...no visible wires.

Probably not what you were looking for but maybe it will spur someone elses creative thinking....(since you have a catchy SUBJECT line and all....)