Next question

jsmp1225

I've decided to upgrade my speakers before doing anything else. I'm currently using a mid level Polk Audio center channel that I like. My question is should I sell the Polk center on eBay and start from scratch with a higher end brand (Klipsch, Paradigm, B&W) or should I go with Polks up front and possibly in the rear? I'd like to get away with spending approximately $400 total for the mains and the surrounds. Also, I already have an 8" powered sub from Cambridge Soundworks.

Your budgetary constraints might prove to be a challenge. Many questions need to be answered before good suggetions can be given, such as:

- will the system be used for video and music, or video only?

- what are the current upstream electronics?

However, a general rule of thumb for a surround system is that the center channel is the most critical element for propper surround sound reproduction. If you happen to like the Polk center, then adding another manufacturers L/R or surrounds, or possibly even another model from the Polk line, will create a mismatch that has the potential to color the sound. For example, with your Polk center and, say, a pair of RB-3's for your R/L, while watching "Top Gun", an F-14 flying across the screen will sound different asit flys from left to center channel, and then the sound will revert back as the jet "arrives" in the right channel.

This might be a long way of saying that if you are pleased with the Polk center, find Polk L/R and surrounds from the same model line to match the center.

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD

You may want to consider Klipsch's Synergy Series. As stated in the previous post, you should have matching fronts for center & L/R Mains. This gives the best timbre and tone match for sounds that pan left to right. Take a look at here at what's available in the Synergy Series.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/homeaudio/synergy.asp

If there is a authorized Klipsch dealer in your area, check them out and see what pricing can be arranged. You can also check various auction sites if new is not an option.

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

I put Klipsch (Synergy and higher), Polk (CSi, FX, R, LS and RT Series) and Paradigm (Performance, Monitor and Reference) speakers all equal in constuction. These all are built very solidly. Polk especially, from my experiences. For the price, these companies are all just about equal in quality, not one really ahead of another, all top quality.

CSW... never done anything with them. Can't help you there.

Note. Klipsch, Paradigm and Polk all have a unique sound. Listen to them all and decide which you like the most, Polk has the best midrange to me, but I like the horn sound from Klipsch. I guess i am hybrid, but would never mix the brands. Like mixing peanut butter with avacadoes. Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>