Broke down and bought an Emotiva UMC-1

Frzninvt

Well the NAD T163 that I purchased in 2004 and had replaced 3 times finally quit. Yesterday out of the blue I get no 12V trigger to the Panamax 5400 and no audio from any input source. Got it to work a couple of times prior but not this time.

Not wanting to drop $2K on a new processor I decided to buy the Emotiva UMC-1, the horror stories scare me and have me a bit apprehensive about the purchase but my hope is that it has all the latest firmware updates to tame the issues. Sure is going to be nice to be able to connect all my sources via HDMI with only one feed to the TV and not having to toggle through the TV inputs constantly.

Any tips on setup will be appreciated and welcomed. Connecting a Sony Blu-Ray, DirecTV HD DVR, and an Xbox 360 via HDMI. CD player is analog. I am hoping it will be straight forward. I guess I will have to "Y" the sub out since it only has a single output, the NAD had two.

Hope it was a good decision :-)

Congrats on the purchase! They are known to have some issues with the DirecTV DVR, but if it's too much, it will still be a good decision based solely on the upgrade card. Setup is very straightforward, and I think you shouldn't have any problems. Also the sub issue shouldn't be a problem. Apparently there is enough bandwidth to split it 6 times before any loss of resolution occurs.

• Moderators

Congrats on the purchase. I have had a positive experience with my UMC-1 but as mentioned, I don't have DVR hooked up so my setup is very simple with only a PS3 and projector connected to it.

Let us know your thoughts once you get everything setup.

I have dual subs and used one XLR sub out on one and the RCA out on the other. Using a Y will be the same thing and yes, I remember hearing a podcast about being able to hook up 6 subs as well so all is good there.

I have been using my UMC-1 for about 3 months now and have a few issues. If I am watching a blu-ray and either pause, rewind, or fast forward, sometimes when I resume play there is no sound and I have to switch to another input and back to dvd. With my DirecTV DVR sometimes the same thing happens as above and also when I got to a channel from the guide. It works perfectly 90% of the time, but the other 10% can get annoying. Other than that, the sound quality for movies and music are amazing.