Tube amp problems

Hello,

I have a vintage tube amp, that I've been fooling around with, trying to get it working so I can use it with my Cornwalls. It's from an old radio console of the 60's. It's a stereo power amp, not an integrated, with 2 EL-84's per channel, one 12AX7 (total) and one 5R4 rectifier.

The problem I am having is it makes this loud hummmmm all the time. It's a 60 cycle ground hum, and it's really loud. There is also some crackling from time to time. It does play sound, which is a good sign I guess, but the hum is so loud you can't really hear the music much at all. All the tubes do light up.

Anybody have any ideas what could be causing this? I changed several caps underneath- about 6 I believe, observing their values, and replacing with identical caps. But they haven't helped at all. Could it be the large filter cap on top? If so, I would be dumbfounded when it came to replacing it, because it is actually numerous caps inside there- all of different values. The values are all written on the side of the can though.

Any one with any ideas here? I'd really like to get this thing going again, and caps and resistors are cheap so I figure it's worth the effort if it'll work for me. I used to use it with my AR3a's- those speakers are inneficient enough that the hum was much more subtle- still there, but tolerable. However, on the Klipsch's (and a pair of JBL D208 midrange cones I tested first) the hum is unbearable- since these are much more efficient.

Thanks,

Jon

------------------

markvi82@hotmail.com

1981 Cornwall I's

Yamaha DSP-A1000 integrated amp

Acoustic Research AR3A's for Pro-Logic rears

(Music only setup)

Marantz CD Player

Pioneer turntable with Audio Technica cartridge

You can order a custom can cap for about $25 from Virba World just jot down the values and give them a call.

Good luck Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

I dream of a tube amp somedaySmile.gif

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!