REPLACING TORN FORTE II WOOFER

ravinathan

Folks,

Guess the 'Updates and Modifications' forum would be apt for the issue I currently face.

My Forte II (17 years old) woofer on one side has been torn.

Questions

1. Can I get a replacement DIY from an on-line store in the USA (reside in Malaysia so none here)? If so which site can I get them on?

2. What model of woofer do I search for by Part Number? Are these Klipsch branded? Noted I may have to change both sides

3. Are these straight forward replacements with instructions in the DIY kit?

Ravi

Ravi -

Best to identify which speaker you are referring to. Assume you mean the passive rear speaker, which is exposed without a grill to cover it. Otherwise, the main driven speaker is the front woofer behind the magnetically attached grills.

I have removed the passives from a pair of Forte II's. The main issue I noted was that the speakers were apparently installed without tooling to control the location or angle of the screws used for the installation. If you must remove the rear passive, take care to preserver the rubber gasket under the speaker and note how to re-install it to match the manually drilled mounting screws since they vary in location, angle, etc. Assume the other speakers and horns have similar mounting arrangements.

Someone recently offered some rear passives on this forum, not sure if they are available from Klipsch, suggest you contact Klipsch customer service via email.

"Yes, it is the rear passive speakers.

Do you happen to know the part number? What deterioration in sound should I observe with this torn (pretty badly torn actually)?"

If it is the paper that is torn, just patch it together with some rice-paper and glue, if it it the rubber edge, just use some sillicone seal (RTV).

The passive is just a port substitute. Any rigid piston with a flexible edge can be made to work. Cosmetics from the above mentioned repairs will no way affect the sound in any real way.

The advice that Dennis (DJK) just gave you is excellent. The passive is not a driven woofer aas it has not magnetiv motor or voice coil it is simply a dead weight mounted on a suspension which acts as a spring and that assembly acts in much the same fashion as a reflex vent. A hole which is patched will have zero impact upon the performance or sound of the speaker. Buy a couple of metal 15 inch protection grills.Unless yoou have severe damage there is no need or point in replacing the passive it should be just fine once you repair it. Please post a picture so we can take a look at it. Where possible do any repair from the rear side of the cone as this will result in improved cosmetic results. Best regards Moray James.

PS: passive radiatiors are no longer available for the Forte or the Forte ll from Klipsch.

I would just patch it up for now.

Since big chunks are missing a heavier paper should be used, a file card stock (like a 4x6 or 5x7) would be appropriate. You can color it black after gluing it up (for cosmetics).

Down the road a bit if one turns up on eBay you can decide if the cosmetics bother you enough to justify the expense.

OR

A speaker repair shop could re-cone it for you, just be sure to add enough mass to bring it up to it;s present weight.

I don't think the needed repairs (the patching) will harm the sound, but it should be air-tight to function properly.You would be amazed at some of the repairs I have done that still sound fine.

Posted Image

Here is a brand new speaker that the manufacturer has slit the cone and then glued it back together. This is done to reduce the distortion, and it is a very expensive driver from a major manufacturer.

"The mid/bass driver is the Scan-Speak 18W/8531G. This 7" slit paper cone driver is widely considered one of the best mid/bass units in existence."

You have the right ideaahd you should not require a lot of adhesive (white wood glue). If you apply the adhesive to both surfaces and wait till it becomes tacky then you can press your parts together and they will grip firmly. Practice on some scrap pieces first so you get a feel for it. Remember that the passive cone is simply a dead weight bouncing on the suspension so it can get banged up and have no impact. You cannot buy factory replacements any longer the only way to get newer ones will be on the used market. I would patch them up and forget about it, once you patch them and they are air tight again they will sound like new. Just buy some metal protective grills and go. Best regards Moray James.

You want to keep your patches as compact as possible and cut them to fit well. Remove the passive from the cabinet and dry fit each piece by hand as manytimes as you need to be comfortable with placing them together then you can practive with scrap card stock and get the feel for using the adhesive as previously mentioned. You may want to finish up with a light fast spray of flat black spray paint to make everythinhg the same color. Please male sure that yu cak over the sustension and paint the cone and dust cap only with as little paint as necessary. Hope this helps. If you are unsue why not consider a pro shop to do the repairs? Best regards Moray James.

Here is another possible solution which would be my prefered method. This would have to be done to both passive radiators. Remove the dust caps and buy a pair of light (thin) 12 inch cones from a recone shop which fit the profile of the ones that you have trim to size and glue to the old existing cones then install a new set of dust caps. This will provide you with a total repair which looks good from a cosmetic point of view and it will add about an ounce of overall weight which is a good thing as it will tune you passive a little lower for extended bass output. I do a passive modification where I add 2.5 ounces to this passive and it works very well so an extra ounce or so is no problem. As I said you wouldl have to do both units to match. At which point you will be better than new. Best regards Moray James.

contact your local re cone shop (or the closest one) explain your situation and just buy a couple of cones and dust caps. /anything which will fit will do. I am sure that for 15 -20 bucks you can buy new 15 inch woofers that would work as a passive or as a cone source so why buy expensive parts. all you need is a couple of cones you can cut a slit full length to make it fir just looks nicer if it actually fits in place in one piece.Hope this helps best regards Moray James.

That is the 12" driven speaker on the front. You are looking for the 15" passive that goes on the back. Yours is pretty torn up. You would have to do a pretty good patch job to get it airtight. If I were you, I would replace it.