Mod to RSW12 subwoofer

longdrive03

I lucked into one of these in a buyout. The cabinet is not well braced and vibrates a lot. My thought is to make this look and sound better by applying a 3/4" mdf layer to the two sides and top and then veneer it with cherry and solid cherry trim on the corners. The mdf should dampen the vibration considerably.

I plan to remove the speakers, tape over the amp controls, cover the innards, sand down the paint, glue and finish nail the mdf on, veneer, trim corners and finish. Only concern is cutting out hole around the volume control. I may be able to attach it to the outside new "shell" and if no can countersink a hole to allow access the control. Anyone ever done this?

I lucked into one of these in a buyout. The cabinet is not well braced and vibrates a lot. My thought is to make this look and sound better by applying a 3/4" mdf layer to the two sides and top and then veneer it with cherry and solid cherry trim on the corners. The mdf should dampen the vibration considerably.

I plan to remove the speakers, tape over the amp controls, cover the innards, sand down the paint, glue and finish nail the mdf on, veneer, trim corners and finish. Only concern is cutting out hole around the volume control. I may be able to attach it to the outside new "shell" and if no can countersink a hole to allow access the control. Anyone ever done this?

Good subs I've owned weigh a ton. El-cheapos are lighter. I think beefing up the chassis is a good idea. Are you planning on taking measurements before and after?

MG, I don't have equipment to do tests. However, I think that I can't screw it up too much by reducing vibration other than make it heavier. It's like closet space - you can't have too much!!!

It will certainly be prettier when I finish. The good thing about subs is they don't travel a lot when they are put in place. Won't have to move this one a lot. I'll send pics when I start. Going to work on a center channel for a friend and two rear tower surround speakers for a buddy.

I've tinkered with the idea of opening up the top and attaching larger box to extend base. I'll have to check the woofers specs to see the optimum cabinet size. However, I would assume I need to add mass to the PR (or add another PR???) Anyone have the specs on the K-1113-T 12" active woofer handy? My test results are on my home computer. Thanks.