Promedia 2.1 problems

wyllies1

I have a set of wired Promedia 2.1 speakers and I must say they are the finest speakers I have ever owned. I bought them about 6 years ago so I can understand them not working perfectly but Klipsch has not been very helpful in my queries to them so I fall upon you the people to possibly help my problems. After moving to a new apartment I noticed that there was a very nasty buzz in just the left side speaker. After a little troubleshooting I figured out that the flaw was in the speaker wire going from the back of the Sub to the speakers. I tried to buy a new one from Klipsch but they said they didn't have any! I found a third party company and purchased from them and they worked well again. All of a sudden one day the speakers started to sound very hollow and tinny. Lots of high end lots of low end but no mid at all. After removing the speaker covers I noticed that the horn (or tweeter please forgive my audio ignorance) was pushing sound but the speaker below it is not. The flaw must be in the sub because I have tried to troubleshoot everything else. I was wondering if anyone else ran into this problem and if so what you did to fix it. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum!

I have both the 2.1, and the 5.1 wired Promedia system. they are indeed unrivaled for computer speaker setups. Unfortunately, my 5.1 system is starting to die, which is common. The problem, as you may have already figured out, is the amp in the sub. This is a very common problem, and nobody can get Klipsch to do anything about it. It is sad.

For that reason, most of the forum members here have tended to direct people who are shopping for subs to other brands.

You may have a dying amp. If that is the case, I don't know what to tell you...

You might contact this guy on the Bay. I got two of the fan kits and some parts replacements from him, for my Promedias and they have been working flawlessly (sp) ever since. You can now put your hand on the amp and it is just warm where as before it would be very HOT to the touch. The main problem with them was internal heat exceeding the rating of the internal components and would cause them to fail over time.

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/COOLING-FAN-KIT-UPGRADE-for-Klipsch-ProMedia-5-1-THX-or-Ultra-amplifier-/230851252481?pt=US_Computer_Speakers&hash=item35bfce9101

Hope this helps you out...........

You might contact this guy on the Bay. I got two of the fan kits and some parts replacements from him, for my Promedias and they have been working flawlessly (sp) ever since. You can now put your hand on the amp and it is just warm where as before it would be very HOT to the touch. The main problem with them was internal heat exceeding the rating of the internal components and would cause them to fail over time.

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/COOLING-FAN-KIT-UPGRADE-for-Klipsch-ProMedia-5-1-THX-or-Ultra-amplifier-/230851252481?pt=US_Computer_Speakers&hash=item35bfce9101

Hope this helps you out...........

I might give this a shot. Is this guy the BEC of the Promedia line, then? What did you do, just call him, and tell him what your setup was doing, or did you know what was wrong and order specific parts?

The Ebay website is a good read. This guy is the BEC of ProMedia. I ran across this in the listing:

Q: Does the Promedia 2.1 amp have the same issues as the 5.1 amp?

A: No, not the same issues. The designs are quite different between the 2.1 and the 5.1. No fan is needed for the 2.1, but on all but the most recent versions of 2.1 ProMedia, a couple of resistors tend to overheat (need to be upgraded and mounted above the circuit board), and the control pod's plug is weak (easily damaged, so a stronger plug is suggested).

• 11 years later...
4 hours ago, John Jackson said:

I have a Klipsch  promedia 2.1 for my desktop computer and I can't get it to work my computer is a hp 24 inch monitor with one female port on the back of the monitor for your male connection what needs to be done please help

Has it ever worked?  You’re plugging the system into the headphone jack on the computer?