Upgrading from Onkyo A-9555

MikeSt

I got some KLF 20s and want to get a new integrated amp for them. I have been using the Onkyo A-9555 which sounds pretty good, not spectacular just good. I had the vintage HK 430 before the Onkyo and it was good too, but he Onkyo was better I thought. What can I upgrade to that will be a big step up from the Onkyo? It had good bang for the buck at around $350. What would be another bang for the buck and a big step up at around say $600, give or take? I listen mainly to rock and love strong midrange for guitars because I play guitar. Thanks!

It doesn't matter to me. I've had a little Sherwood tube stereo that was nice, a little muddy but sweet. I had a Krell KAV 400i (didn't use with Klipsch) which was awesome and a vintage Sansui AU-9900 that sounded really good with it's matching tuner, but was so-so with CDs. Right now I want something that sounds really alive and sounds good playing electric guitar. I like the guitar to bite like it was recorded and not be smoothed out.

Maybe look into an NAD integrated like the C375BEE(150w/ch) or the C356BEE(80w/ch)

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-nad-c375bee-integrated-amplifier-with-manufacturer-s-warranty-free-shipping-2012-10-08-integrateds-01060

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-nad-c356bee-integrated-amplifier-with-warranty-and-free-shipping-2012-10-16-integrateds-01060

Either one will have no problem driving your KLF's and sound sweet in the process. MY NAD T773 receiver(145w/ch) drove my RF-63's with ease.

Bill

Right now I want something that sounds really alive and sounds good playing electric guitar. I like the guitar to bite like it was recorded and not be smoothed out.

I assure you this Acurus integrated will make a guitar sound like a guitar. That is one of the things I like so much about my Acurus A200 with my RF-63's. Instruments sound like they are suppose to especially acoustic guitar.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-acurus-dia-100-direct-input-amplifier-2012-10-08-amplifiers-33615

Bill

I like some of the vintage Yamaha amps A Yamaha M70 200/400 watts per channel and a matching processor will drive those KLF 20's with a heavenly sound. I brought my 7's off a guy that had KLF 20's on some Sansui amps ( I never heard a speaker mated so well with an amp-sweet is not the word). He favored the 20's over the 7's due to bass resonance. My Yamaha M 70 and M 80 have such a grip on the 7's, that I went form 10% music to around 65% music over the last year. All the instrument are crystal clear. An M 70/ processor can be had for around $600. Good luck finding something for the KLF 20's. I am sure others will offer suggestions.