My first entry into the Klipsch line

tom rogers

As a poor, retired union worker, I have been obsessed with computer gaming, and finally got the setup I wanted, and Skyrim is beautiful in full HD graphics. One problem remained; I have always enjoyed great sounding music, and I cannot tolerate canned, tinny reproduction, so I've strived to get the best sound I could afford.

I was thisclose to purchasing some Klipsch speakers, many years ago, for home theater and music, and was talked out of them by the salesman into instead going with the NHT's. He might have been correct in that instance, but I remembered how very solid the sound stage was with the Klipsch set ( Sorry, I do not remember the models)

Back to PC gaming/music, I was sure that the Logitech 5.1 set that I'd found at Wal-Mart, sitting in a dusty corner sad and lonely, on clearance for $60, were not exactly great sound, though I would still heartily recommend them to a broke-a** gamer for adequate positional sound, and they have served me well for over 5 years.

So, when I found out that the 2.1 Pro-Media system was so low-priced, I decided to feed my Klipsch jones and grab a set. Of course, I'm blown away. And of course, I won't be satisfied with only having them on the computer.

I do have a question that I don't see answered anywhere on the website. If something happens to one of the satellites or the covers for same, is there the ability to purchase them separately? Thanks for any help. I'll gladly move this post if it is in the wrong category

Tom, welcome to the forum.

I have the ProMedia 2.1 setup in my basement for computer duty.

On the other end of the basement there are a pair of Fortes driven by a 110 Watt Onkyl receiver.

Problem is, the Fortes are under the kitchen and my wife is less than happy to experience my music in her kitchen.

ProMedia 2.1 to the rescue! Various streaming music from the internet, they sound great, sub fills very nicely.

Wife happy.

I'm happy.

Win win!

Enjoy.

...I do have a question that I don't see answered anywhere on the website. If something happens to one of the satellites or the covers for same, is there the ability to purchase them separately? ....

Those things are all over Ebay. When people lose a sub amp, they sell off the satelites and other components.

Thanks for the response, everyone. Daddy Dee, I was referring to possibly purchasing other klipsch speakers for music from a receiver or other components. ( I have an old Harmon-Kardon receiver to start me off, should I venture that route. hehe. I love this 2.1 setup, but I realize it's limitations, and I can't wait to plug in a better sound card to push them.

It does not, but the Mobo does have sp/dif out, which I use with a DSS decoder for my headphones at present. That's why I think that if I have to get a sound card anyway, I might as well make it a good one, and wait on the receiver.

EDIT: I've found the Claro Halo and it's at a great sale price right now. My question is, does it have the requisite "line out" connector that are stipulated in the instructions for the speakers? Here it is: ( The sale ends today, so I hope I get a response quickly, though I probably will purchase it, sans suggestions for a better card or if the Claro is ill-suited to my needs.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=29-271-004&nm_mc=EMCPB-112012&cm_mmc=EMCPB-112012-_-PB-_-Item-_-29-271-004

EDIT 2: I am now more confused, as I do not see this "line out" connection on any sound card. There is the sp/dif outs; is that what the Klipsch instruction manual is talking about? If so, won't I need a special connector for the speaker "in"? Sheesh.

It does not, but the Mobo does have sp/dif out, which I use with a DSS decoder for my headphones at present. That's why I think that if I have to get a sound card anyway, I might as well make it a good one, and wait on the receiver.

EDIT: I've found the Claro Halo and it's at a great sale price right now. My question is, does it have the requisite "line out" connector that are stipulated in the instructions for the speakers? Here it is: ( The sale ends today, so I hope I get a response quickly, though I probably will purchase it, sans suggestions for a better card or if the Claro is ill-suited to my needs.)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=29-271-004&nm_mc=EMCPB-112012&cm_mmc=EMCPB-112012-_-PB-_-Item-_-29-271-004 EDIT 2: I am now more confused, as I do not see this "line out" connection on any sound card. There is the sp/dif outs; is that what the Klipsch instruction manual is talking about? If so, won't I need a special connector for the speaker "in"? Sheesh.

Every sound card I have ever seen has a line out. Perhaps that's why they don't say it. In the old days, it was green. Usually there is a little picture of a speaker next to the plug in. It is the size of a mini headphone plug in.

Hope that helps.

Tom,

Congrats on your first step in Klipsch. For a good card, get one that has digital output, route it into a AVR then to your speakers. As soon as possible, get something like, Oh, I don't know, er, Cornwalls and your games will come ALIVE!

I also have some promedia but they don't get much use, my 2 ch room which is also my computer (gaming) room is running Cornwalls. Both my HT rooms are 7.1 Klipsch, they play for everything, movies, games, TV, the works! You need to get great sound to match the great picture you have when playing games or just relaxing in front of the "tube" (I guess we really won't be calling it that much longer!)

Enjoy!!!!

Um, I'm a retired union worker, not union owner. hehehe. I'm going for as good a sound quality as I can get on a much smaller budget than the components you're suggesting. I do plan on going with a better sound card and routing through a digital receiver, but $4000 for a set of speakers is far too rich for my blood.

Um, I'm a retired union worker, not union owner. hehehe. I'm going for as good a sound quality as I can get on a much smaller budget than the components you're suggesting. I do plan on going with a better sound card and routing through a digital receiver, but $4000 for a set of speakers is far too rich for my blood.

You can get some very good prices on used KG 3, 3.2, 3.5, 4, 4.2, 4.5, 5.2, and 5.5. They are all very good speakers. I have a pair of 4.2's in my most frequently used home theater. You can go on Ebay and Craigslist and look for 'klipsch kg'.

Tom, there is no need to hold up a bank, in addition to the great KG series above, the used market offers some GREAT deals vs new. My cornwalls were $500 for the pair, yes there were a couple small water marks on the cabs but they were small and they do not affect the drivers or the sound! My Fort'e and my Quartets were in the ball park of $400 a pair and similar deals happen all the time.