Khorn ID and Cornwall advise

JBryan

First, I apologize for the long post but I've recently come across a pr. of '75 Khorns and need a little help identifying the wood used on the cabinets. The wood is darker than walnut with more contrast in the veins. The veneer strips are about 3-4" wide and smaller than the walnut ( 8") so there are 10 strips used on the the front . Of the choices, I'd guess they were rosewood but they could also be teak with a dark finish. If there's anyone who has seen rosewood and teak, please help me ID this so I can clean it up and make repairs. Also, the grill cloth has been replaced with tan basketweave and there isn't a logo. What is correct? Does anyone have suggestions for rewiring the speakers and modifying the AA crossover?

I also have a pr. of '72 Cornwall IIs in the basement and want to know how do I take the grill cloth off. I tugged a bit but don't think its been attached with velcro. These speakers have a single piece of walnut veneer on the top and sides and the midrange and tweeter are vertical, staggered and book-matched with the other speaker (the pie logo is affixed to the inside corner of each). I found lots of great information in the archives but I could find little about this model or style (CWO.15). Is this a designation for "normal" Cornwall IIs? Is the 15 for the woofer - I thought all Cornwalls had 15" woofers. Any information would be helpful and most appreciated. Thanks!

Cant' help you with the K-horns.

I do have a pair of 71 Cornwall II's with the same model designation. Your's are Walnut Oil also. You should have vertical mounted tweeters and mid-horns. Their model number should be K-77 and K-55V, respectively. Your woofer may be a 15" K-33-P, sightly offset in front motorboard. Both speakers should have the original "B" Networks, as seen in the pic below. The grill cloth is attached to the motorboard. You must remove the internal drivers and motorboard to change the grill cloth. What type of logos are on the fronts? Mine have the original Pie-Sliced PWK logos. Your Serial Number will offer a lot of info as well?

Here's a pic of the inside of one of mine:

InsideCornwall.jpg

Link to Klipsch's Cornwall specification page:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/cutsheet.asp?id=84

Hope this helps w/Cornwall identification.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 06-13-2002 at 05:46 PM

quote:

Originally posted by JBryan:

These speakers have a single piece of walnut veneer on the top and sides and the midrange and tweeter are vertical, staggered and book-matched with the other speaker (the pie logo is affixed to the inside corner of each).

Now see that you addressed the logos. The 15 designator appears to be consistantly used on Cornwall II models. My guess your reference to woofer size may be correct. Exercise a lot of caution if you remove those logos. I'm sure you are aware they are no longer available from Klipsch.

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Thank you Wes! All the info I want and pictures to boot. Sounds like your speakers are the same model as mine so I guess I don't have to take the backs off after all - but I will. This place has a wealth of information and its so easy to tap into the experts. There should really be a charge for this. I'll keep snooping around for more details but thank you again for your help. Bryan

JBryan,

Post a pic of one of those k-horns and maybe I can help about the wood on em...Teak is seldom finished darker than walnut...teak is actually lighter in color and has a bit of a greenish/yellowish tint to it... and walnut has a purplish dark brown to it...Yours may well be rosewood...but pics will confirm or deny it.

Correct logos for your k-horns is PWK pie slice...unavailable since 1977

Grille cloth on your cornwalls was wrapped around to back of front where it was secured prior to front being installed...you have to remove front to remove the cloth...but the logos break easily and are no longer available...as mentioned previously...so be careful removing them!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages