2nd sub not showing up in mcacc setup for my pioneer elite receiver

synergyfreak

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is level-matching

I have always found this way to work well. For phase, a second person and an spl meter is needed while one person changes the phase on the subwoofer to see where the the highest output is from the subs in the room. Even doing this, the phase correction will not be for the entire frequency band in most cases. After I have everything setup, checking with an spl meter in several spots in the room allows for a final tweak if needed. I guess I have used this method and can setup subs in my room in about 15 min. Gain matching also works well and makes sure that the two subs have the same headroom. Level matching asures that the two sub spl is the same at the listening position. Either method should do a great job with the op subs. To get more accurate results, REW room analyzer or some other software program is needed. The head room problem is only a concern with two very dissimilar subs like a 10 in and a 15 in sub. In this case, the op subs should be fine and in no danger with either gain or level matching. In my system, neither sub gain is over the 10-11 O'clock positon so, both subs have plenty of headroom. This is a good discussion since getting the bass right in a system in the hardest thing to accomplis.

If you are going to gain match your subs like that, and use MCACC to set the sub channel's level, honestly, there really is no reason for you to get an SPL meter. Unless, of course, you want to do some measuring. It can be useful for adjusting the relative phasing of the two subs. Misleading, too.

MCACC dose nothing to the subs with Eq. It uses filter for standing waves down to 63 Hz.. Pioneer approach to thing is similar to Earl Geddes, in the first modal region, up to about 50 Hz, this region is very difficult to tame and one or more subs have little effect in smoothing out the modal response. This region is best taken care of by room treatments. Most HT have more trouble with modes in the 100-300 Hz region. Also there are few music fundemental notes under 40 Hz except the pipe organ. Most of what we hear are the harmonics above that region. I think this is the reason Pioneer dose not EQ below 63 Hz. Gedde also favors not using the xo in the sub and feels the sub and the mains should overlap for the best blending in the system. Global EQ'ing works below the avr's xo and has merit. Pioneer's Front align, or 3rd preset, where the mains have not been EQ in theory should be best for music listening. I can't tell a difference between symmetry, all ch adj, or the front align settings. I favor not straying to far from MCACC because in my experience, the sound does not get better. Spl meters are cheap and can be used to make sure the sub levels are the same at a wide sweet spot when setting up the system. The methodology I outline works well with Pioneer avr's, I am not familiar enough with Audyssey which does things different than MCACC. An interesting note, Geedes did not favor using identical subs and symmetrical placement. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxgUOGOB5HbfR0JTRF9XZjkyUms/edit?pli=1

• 2 weeks later...

Synergyfreak

I had wondered the same thing as well at first since I own an Elite SC-61 myself. I recently just bought a SW310 as a second sub and hooked it up. Even though the 2nd sub does not show up on the screen during the MACC room correction setup, it is still being recognized. You can hear both subs operating during the setup. Ultimately the AVR is calculating one SW setting to be recognized for both subs.