Sub x over

MichaelandKlipsch

Hello. A quick question regarding the Crossover and Phase of my Subs. I have the phase set to 0 for both Sub amps with bounder gain compensation off. Right now I have great Bass no complaint there but I want to know if I should limit the Crossover to around 60 or so or leave it at around 80 where I have it? I have my towers set to 80 and all the remaining speakers set to small. For an idea of the system and room I sit about 10 from the screen in the middle. I have a 12 long 22w room with 9 ceilings. My subs are positioned in both corners on the left and right side of the towers. I have 4 KW-120 THX subs and I have 2 stacked in each corner with 2 KA-1000 amps. The towers are being driven by a Parasound 5250 v2 amp.

Did you run your system as a THX system with MCACC? The sub xo should be all the way up so that the avr is controling everything. The LFE channel get's info from 120 Hz down and is controled by a filter. Think of the subs as a playback device. Setting the xo at 80 mean that is will only play frequencies 80 Hz and under. You will miss some of the LFE info between 120-80 Hz. I run my system as a THX to take advantage of the sharp THX xo slopes. I set all the speakers to small since I have capable subs and this add a little of headroom to the system. You can also just select THX subwoofer if you don't run your system as a THX system, still turn the sub xo all the way up.

Boundry gain is for to much bass or muddy bass. Depending on your room/standing wave, ect, you may need it. But, set all speakers to small first and see if that helps with the bass. You have some nice subs and they should not be corner loaded or near a wall if the bass is to much or boomy. This will help with standing waves, bass re-enforcement in certain parts of the room and bass cancellation in other parts of the room due to room mode/nodes. This will also help with phase issues You have a nice avr and should use the bass management feature. Nice Parasound amp! Also check your reverb measurements under Manual MCACC, EQ Pro and see how flat the frequency respones is before more tweaking. I use sub risers since I don't need the re-enforcement from setting the speakers directly on the floor. It is IMHO the risers made the bass louder and cleaner in my room. After having the risers for several months, I don't think they decouple the sub from the floor but help with vertical room modes. MCACC set my avr xo to 100 Hz and the sub can't be localized. Klipsch systems are not bass shy.

Good Morning to all,

Ok so I have a question regarding bass and bass traps. Ok I have more than enough bass as far as equipment goes but I noticed that the output in the low frequency dept. is lacking in my main sitting position. I can feel and hear the bass but it isnt what it should be. I have a very wide room 23 wide but only 12-13 foot long and 9 high. I have 4 theater seats and If I sit on the ends I hear much more bass but if I sit in the ideal front and center spot I dont hear or feel as much. The corners have absolutely massive output of bass when I walk towards them if I use Bass Traps in the right corner or acoustic panels will this help direct some for the bass towards the main sitting position? I can only put them in the right corner back wall ceiling or front wall. The left corner is the entrance to the theater room via stairs. This is a dedicated theater room and I have 4 KW-120 THX subs with 2 KA-1000s both are stacked and behind the towers in the two corners of front wall. Sorry this is a lengthy post but I wanted it to be detailed for the best response. Let me know if I can use bass traps in the rear right corner or acoustic panels anywhere. Id prob. Get 4 thick ones and where is the best place to get them? Thanks in advance.

Derrick, Last night I set all my speakers to small and put the subs stacked slightly off the two far corners and I have amazing bass output and dont require to run the subs very high. The elite has it set as -12 db and I have the KA-1000 amps set half way. I put boundary gain compensation on both amps and it sounds much much better. The LFE output is just massive with 4 of those KW-120S. From the post above you can see though that maybe because it is a long room I have extremely massive out put on the side seats or near the corners but in the middle main seating position I still have great bass but not as deep in your chest if u know what I mean as the sides. Is there a way to move some of this bass towards the middle or equalize it a bit towards the whole room? I hate to move the subs from where they are because the towers 83 are just perfect where they are and the subs sound and look great stacked as well. Thanks for the comment on the parasound amp she is new and I havent put her in place yet just the elite AVR so far but this weekend Ill be putting in my dedicated AMP and use the Elite as a pre amp. Thanks for any input all u guys have been great so far. Im up for using acoustic panels or buying bass traps if needed to move the bass. Just want ur suggestion

The elite has it set as -12 db and I have the KA-1000 amps set half way.

Michael, you are running the subs way to hot. This may be contributing to the problem with the bass in the room. The deeper and stronger the bass, the more modal effects. Your are not going for max. output, but smoother bass is the goal and system integration, Get and spl meter and set ea sub to 70 db using the avr testone since you have 4 subs. Turn the other 3 subs off when setting to one sub to 70 db. Turn the subwoofer amp gain down to 9 O'clock to start with. I dealy, you want the sub level in the avr near 0. Most of us have sub in the low minus range. Once all 4 subs have been set to 70 db, you have to re-run MCACC. Once again set everything to small. Remember, the sub/s should be a ghost in the room. People should not hear the subs like other speakers. The sub/s are silent but dynamic partners in the HT setup. For example, currently my sub level in the avr is -3 and the gain on the sub amp is roughly at 9-10 O'clock on both subs which is not high. I can easily hit 112 db in movies and that is mostly a result of the additive gain from running so many speakers. MCACC cannot correctly calibrate the system with the subs a -12.

It sounds to me as thought your main sweet seat may be in a null spot for bass. I had this problem as well in my room when my seat was half way between front and back wall. I was able to solve it somewhat with re positioning of speakers and seating. I have not made a trap yet but they are always a welcome addition, you can not go wrong adding a good trap into a corner. Make it floor to sealing and the wider the better, it will see all 3 corners.

Of course this is considering you have run your MCACC correctly first.

Good luck. Room modes suck.