Dust Caps

wlg235

Well, after finding an incredible deal on a pair of H2's...I've got a messed up dust cap on one of the woofers. It looks like the previous owner may have let kitty get too close to one of the speakers without a grill. There's no damage to the cone at all, and this picture is actually after I cleaned up some shredded fibers on the dust cap. It's damaged enough that I could poke my finger through it without much effort. I've got this particular speaker (H2) in pieces at the moment, while I'm staining the cabinet. I've never done any actual speaker repair before, but it appears that I can pick up a new dust cap and fix this problem. The other option would be to keep my eye out for a K24 driver to swap out. But...if I were to go down that path, I'm considering just making the move to Crites drivers instead.

Looking for thoughts and suggestions. I have plenty of time to work on this H2 since it's not being used at the moment. I think this is actually a K24K(?). Oh...less I forget...I'm curious where I can pick up replacement gaskets for when I put everything back together. (x2)

dustcap_zps2096affc.jpg

Thanks,

Walt

This glue works great on dust caps:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=340-078

When you get your new dust cap, use a pencil to outline where it will be glued:

23penciltracedustcap.jpg

Paint the glue just below the pencil line you made:

24glueconewheredustcapgoes.jpg

Slick the cop on, and use the back on an el-cheapo pen to press the edges of the dust cap down a little bit:

26pressdustcapdownwithpenback.jpg

Stick a shot glass or something on the cap until it is dry.

Are those availible for tweeters also. Someone moved one of my speakers I had stored. Knocked off 2 protective steel mesh covers and smashed the tweeter dust cap on my Allisons [:'(] . My dust caps appear to be foil. Thought about the old vacuum trick, but may be too flat or get too much vacuum............................Taz

Thanks for everybodies input. I feel confident enough as far as glueing a new dust cap in place. Removing the old dust cap...not so much. I guess if I was talking about I high frequency driver, this would be more crucial...but doesn't glueing a new cap over the existing effect the speaker in some way?

Thanks,

Walt

Thanks for everybodies input. I feel confident enough as far as glueing a new dust cap in place. Removing the old dust cap...not so much. I guess if I was talking about I high frequency driver, this would be more crucial...but doesn't glueing a new cap over the existing effect the speaker in some way?

Thanks,

Walt

If it were my speaker, I would put the driver on a bench, and remove as much of the old cap as possible with an exacto knife or whatever so I didn't increase the mass of the driver. I would avoid using solutions, as this would likely be quickly absorbed by the paper cone and could cause damage. Is that a 4" dust cap?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-379

That is a 4" dust cap.on the driver. The horns and driver are on a shelf in the closet for now, since I'm trying to improve (inlue of refinish?) the finish on the cabinet....which has been sidelined due to wanting to use black laquer, which apparently is best done as a spray application. Using canned spray in my apartment is not something I want to undertake just this moment. When I'm a little more ambitious...I'll attempt to remove as much of the old cap as possible, if only for my own satisfaction that I've done as much as I possibly could to do the job properly.

[;)]

Walt

• 2 weeks later...

Was able to find pressed felt dust caps (like the original) from Simply Speaker. I've got 2 of them (good to have another on hand) and adhesive on the way. It's actually a 4 1/2" dust cap on the driver measuring to the outside edges of the lip. A 4" would have worked if I was to glue one cap on top of the other...but I'm going to try and cut as much of the damaged one off as possible, and glue lip/lip

[:)]

Walt