Connecting two RC-62s in Parallel

Minddoc

I have RF-7s for my front right and left in my HT. I currently have an RC-62 as my center. I've been looking into getting an RC-64 upgrade for the center......then I starting thinking (PROBABLY A BAD IDEA, ME THINKING THAT IS).... Why couldn't I get another RC-62 and connect them in parallel. It would give me the same number of 6.5" drivers as the RC-64 but 2, rather than 1 tweeter.

If I'm getting my math right, connecting them this way would reduce each RC-62 from 8 Ohms to 4 Ohms, and effectively double the power output of amp on that channel (ex. my current Onkyo is putting out 85 watts a channel at 8 Ohms and would become 170 watts on the center channel at 4 Ohms but each RC-62 would see 85 watts, I think...). And yes, already thinking about a higher end amp, preouts, external amps, etc...

Of course my amp will need to be rated to run at 4 Ohms else I risk burning it out.

Has anybody tried this? How'd it work out. I'm hesitant to try and probably should just get the 64 but looking for some advice from some of the experts on the forum.

Thanks

• Moderators

It's not just the amount of 6.5" drivers but how they are connected to the crossover, different drivers cover different frequencies, so it's not the same, not even counting two speakers side by side with the same signal and what problems that can cause.