Adcom amps with Klipsch speakers?

gloria

I have an older pair of KG 4.5 speakers in my house and thought I might as well use them in my basement. I needed to buy an amp to run them with and my budget was limited. I looked around for the best deal I could find and ended up purchasing a used Adcom GFA555ii/GFP555ii combination for $500. I feel I got a good price on the amps but I'm starting to wonder if the Adcom's are going to make a good match with the Klipsch speakers. I'm new at this and a friend suggested I ask here concerning my question. The amps are currently shipping across country so I won't have them for about a week. Did I make a bad decision? Should I be concerned or will the Adcoms work fine with my speakers. I listen to classical music.

gloria...welcome to the forum...I've owned quite a few Adcom components over the years and have had nothing but good luck with them. I'm currently using the 5500 amp which is around 7 years old but they still make it. I really enjoy the Adcom. It's extremely quick, detailed, and has great low end extension. It does however get HOT. I would suggest not stacking anything on top of your new amp and provided good ventilation. Although yours is an older model I'm pretty sure you'll find out it will get hot. Overall I think you'll be impressed, let us know how it goes.

------------------

2 Channel System:

Klipsch Epic CF-2s

McIntosh C-15 Preamplifier

Adcom GFA 5500 Amplifier

Music Hall MMF-5 Table

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Adcom ACE-515 AC Enhancer

Transparent Audio Cabless>

I think any would be criticisms have to take a back seat to the very good deal you got.

You might find Adcom's presentation of the high frequencies a little 'hot' and 'brittle' sounding through those horns when being played at louder levels.

The bass will be fabulous.

It's very good stuff however -- you did good.

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25 * S F Line 1 * S9000ES * HSU x-over * SVS CS+ * Klipsch RF7s f>s>

Psalm 122:6f>c>s>

I used an original series GFA555 with the GFP555 with my 1985 original series KG4 for quite a few years. It was a very good match.

When I moved up to a pair of La Scalas, it was a mismatch. The La Scalas play a lot louder than the KG4 with the same amount of power, so I had to turn the volume of the GFP555 waaaaaaaaaay down with the La Scalas. I don't know whether it's the preamp or the amp or the combination of the two, but when you use this pair at very low power levels it doesn't sound as good as it does at higher power levels.

With the KG 4.5 speakers, at anything above whisper quiet levels, I think you'll find them an excellent combination.

If someday you upgrade to a more sensitive series in the Klipsch line, you might find you have to investigate other amp / preamp combos. The good news is that your GFA / GFP 555 series hold their value very well. Your $500 price is a real bargin - bet you could resell today or at any point in the future for the same or more, with a little bit of patience.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System