Frank Herbert's Dune

Dafishguy

I bought this three disk set yesterday and watched the first disk last night. The disk comes with DTS and DD 5.1. All I can say is cwm44.gif WOWcwm39.gif . The disk looks stunning and the DTS surround is unbelivable. The story so far is pretty good as well. If you want a great disk to enjoy your system by, then Dune is for you.

Take care

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub RSW-15

Receiver Denon 5803

DVD Denon 2800 (Soon to be Denon 9000)

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

I appreciated the mini-series a bit more than than the original movie. I wouldn't doubt the mini-eries has better audio, given advances.

The project of converting the book to visual must have been a daunting one. I'm not speaking ill of either the mini-series or the cinema.

BTW, if you liked the Dune book, you must, must, read the shorter sequel, Dune Messiah. The other members of the sequence didn't hold me. Messiah is a gem.

It is my belief that many movies are only the illustrations to much more intricate and intellectual novels. It is legitimate to enjoy them, in tandem, on that level, nonetheless.

For example, if you like, or especially if you dislike, 2001, you should read the book. Just excellent.

Gil

I'm a firm believer in books...have never met a movie that reached the expectations that my own mind created by reading a book...as far as Dune goes though, the mini-series version with William Hurt is by far superior to the original movie..Hey. Sting and David Bowie have the same acting abilities..NADA...but that silly movie involving the maze and DB...was at least laughable..

Gil, In my opinion, most trilogies, quadrologies, and further stretching a story beyond its original limits, just dilutes and limits the story...Dune, the Hobbit, Clan of the Cave Bear, and Star Wars are all priceless in their originality, but as the sequels..sequels.sequels, they are rather like my posts...rather redundant.

I have to agree with you Gil on Dune and Dune Messiah.

Speaking of the original movie I once read that

Kyle MacLachlan was given the lead by David Lynch due to the fact he was a Dune freak. He knew every line and move of every character in the saga. It was his first movie.Lynch used him again in the young actors second movie Blue Velvet.I also read the books years before any of them hit the screen and found what you said to be true.A daunting project. Something I kept in mind while watching the film versions.They were O.K. Cool.gif

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

Either I have a different version of this flick or something just ain't right. Mine DOES NOT have a DTS soundtrack. As a matter of fact mine doesn't even have a 5.1 soundtrack but just 2 channel DD audio. I actually have both versions of the movie at my house now and neither have a DTS soundtrack.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

Well,Synth,as usual the studios are making a Special ,Collector's,Platinum ,Ultimate, Classic and Limited Edition in DTD ,DD5.1 DD stereo, DD Surround, DTS-ES , THX-EX of every DVD ever made after they can figure out whether or not it's the movie or TV show.And if you are lucky enough to have these details along with aspect ratios included on the outside of the disk you can shop at your favorite video store lugging around a microscope so you can read them before you buy.Yeah Right.

O.K. here's the deal. In checking out the newest release of Dune the other day at the local DVDarama

I found 3 DVDs

#1 Dafishguy version

Dune 2000/SPECIAL EDITION /Director's cut

The Television mini series

Anamorphic Widescreen Aspect Ratio: 1.77:1 (16:9)

Soundtrack: DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1

#2 The Synthfreak version

Dune 2000

The Television mini series

Non-Anamorphic Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 (16:9)

Soundtrack: Dolby 2.0 Track Stereo

#3 THE MOVIE (1984) (David Lynch)

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Non-Anamorphic Widescreen Letterbox

DVD Soundtrack: Dolby Digital 5.1

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

Hey you left out the Director's cut/Producer's cut/best boy cut/key grip cut/donut girl cut/ and the girl with the "big hair" cut, which are offered in anamorphic/polymorphic/sophmorphic/metamorphic/mega-calorphic/ and abhorphic respectively. But not to worry, the Mighty Morphin' Film Rangers are banding together as we speak to bring down this marketing conspiracy. They will also be handing out free doses of morphine to those of us that just cant cope. The line starts behind ME!cwm29.gif

This message has been edited by cluless on 06-22-2002 at 09:42 AM

What? Girl cut ? Boy cut ? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh No ,no, no.

BBB don't play dat. No categories by gender listed by me for anything by me.Forget about it. I had enough trouble trying to straighten out the last bag of snakes I threw on the Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms table of confusion. If I want to buy baked goods I see M__Donut,Ice cream I see M__Frosty,(not Dairy Queen), A toy it's M__potato head.I've already reedited my Walter Winchell post for the second time. That's it for me.Even with my dog it's no more "here girl" or "stay girl" . From now on it's "Sit Neutered K-9" ! "Fetch Neutered K-9"! I've got to go back to mowing before it rains. Hey Clu the morphine sounds like a good idea.Maybe it will take the edge off while I'm on my Simplicity being straifed with BBs by the local Daisy rifle carrying roof top perched ten year olds.HEY is that a treehouse on fire I see? Hmmmm.

Oh well I better go on outside now and look for my lighter.At least that was the last time I saw it.He He. cwm5.gif

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>