Does an RW10 have a place in my 2-channel system???

BillH2121

Good afternoon Klipsch forum members - it has been quite awhile since I last posted, but I have a question to throw out there. Several years ago, I purchased a Klipsch HT system primarily for my family's amusement while I focused more on my 2-channel setup. That HT system included an RW10 that I thought did an excellent job (for the cost) at producing special effect-type lows in the HT format. At some point, I started sharing the RW10 with my 2-channel setup just for grins. My 2-channel gear includes a McIntosh MC2102 amp and a C2200 preamp along with RF7s. Recently, we updated our living area by, among other things, removing the carpet and installing wood floors with several area rugs. Needless to say, the accoustics of the room have changed dramatically and drew my attention back to the RW10. The sub is connected to my C2200 with line-stage RCA jacks with the RW10 controlling frequency cutoff - the LFE runs from my Denon receiver. To my aged ears, the RW10 is not what I would describe as "musical" - however, it does provide that needed "punch" for rock bass drum and more resonance for upright bass in jazz.

My questions - am I expecting too much out of the RW10? Would I notice great improvement with a higher-end sub? Does the RW10 have a place in my system or should I just accept the limitations of the RF7s and enjoy them without the RW10?

It sounds like the SQ changed in the room due to the floors and other reflective surfaces. I have hardwood floors and my wife took out some rugs and changed window Tx's and the SQ was terrible. The bass decay was terrible. A few new rugs and plush furniture restored the SQ. I will let others comment on the RW10 since I have no experience with that sub. The two subs I have are excellent with music and do a good job with HT even though they don't have as deep of extension as some other subs.

Bill, I think not, from what i"ve read the RW10 is a ht sub first, music second, I dont think the 10 will keep up on the music only setup. I"m having the same problem trying to match subs in a 2-channel, until recently I thought a sub was a sub. I"ve heard klipsch is lagging a bit behind on the music subs but I dont know, they offer one for 4k that they are calling an audiophile sub, theres another 15in i"ve heard some good things about but forgot the call letters. Hell if anything give it a try and see what happens.......Roost

hugeroost - I definitely agree that the RW10 is primarily an HT sub and I recognize its limitations - it wasn't remotely "top pf the line" when I bought it and certainly didn't cost much. The last few days, I have experimented a little with placement, volume and freq cut-off on the sub and I am more pleased with its integration in my system than previously. However, I don't think it will ever add much beyond the added "thud" of a bassdrum, etc. I could never imagine cutting off the RF7s at 50 or 60 hz and letting the RW10 handle the rest. I guess my main problem is that where I'm located, I don't have an opportunity to hear a "musical" sub that is well integrated in a 2-channel system. I'm not able to experience the sonic benefit of a higher quality sub to know if its something on which I want to spend additional money at this point. I'm keeping my eye on Craiglist and Audiogon to see if maybe I can find a better quality sub at a low enough price to feel I could experiment and not lose much money. Thanks for your input!

I'll have to agree with most here, the RW-10d is not the most musical of the bunch. I have owned mine for close to six years and it has been completely trouble free but it was retired to bedroom HT duty when I bought my RSW-10d in 2008. Now that is a musical sub. Kick drums, bass drums, bass guitar, you name it, the RSW-10d handles them with ease and precision, and speed.

Bill

I am out on a limb with this one, but I let my subs go up to 100 Hz. I have tried different xo's in the avr but 100 Hz gives the nicest sound for music with all the speakers set as small. I have also tried the speakers as large xo'ing over at 50 and 80 Hz respectively, and letting the RF 7's run the show, the results are about dead even with the speakers as small. The 100 Hz works well for HT also without the subs being able to be localized. I know, I am the only person of the forum using a xo of 100 Hz, lol. I like to be different.[8-|]