Icon or reference opinions please

johnangelo

First off!!! This site has been a wonderful resource and its because the Klipsch community (or should I say Cult!) Thanks to all!! Keeping it in the Klipsch family

I am upgrading my humble Quintet iii to either one of these: Icon series (wf 35) or reference series (rvx 54). The price points are about the same. Opinions appreciated..I am leaning towards the icon purely on asthetics.....but if the reference usurps in performance it will have to be consideration. The one I choose will be playing double duty for home theater as well as music (jazz, classical, piano)Thanks again.

KLIPSCH ICON WF 35

BUILT UNTIL: 2011

CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: 2500Hz

DEPTH: 11.75" (29.8cm)

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: MDF

ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass-reflex via dual rear-firing ports

FINISHES: Furniture-grade wood veneer available in cabernet or espresso

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 45Hz-20kHz +/-3dB

HEIGHT: 43" (109.2cm)

HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVERS: 1" (2.5cm) titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to a 4.5" 80 x 80 round Tractrix® horn

LOW FREQUENCY DRIVERS: Triple 5.25" (13.3cm) high-output, fiberglass cone woofers

LOW FREQUENCY EXTENSION: 40Hz

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms

POWER HANDLING: 150 w @ 8 ohms

SENSITIVITY: 97 dB

WEIGHT: 41 lb

WIDTH: 7.25" (18.4cm)

OR KLIPSCH RVS 54

BUILT FROM: 2004

CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: 2300Hz

DIMENSIONS: 49.25" (125.1cm) H x 7" (17.8cm) W x 6.5" (16.5cm) D (11" / 27.9cm diameter base)

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Extruded aluminum, ABS baffle

ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via rear-firing port

FINISHES: Black

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 75-20kHz (+-)3dB

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: Integral round 90(o) Tractrix® Horn

INPUT CONNECTIONS: 2 sets of binding post speaker terminals connected via brass straps

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms compatible

POWER HANDLING: 150 w max continuous (600 w peak)

SENSITIVITY: 98dB @ 2.83 volts / 1m

TWEETER: 1" (2.5cm) Magnetically Shielded Titanium dome compression driver

WEIGHT: 40 lbs. (18.2kg)

WOOFER: Four 5.25" (13.3cm) Cerametallic cone, magnetically shielded

I haven't heard the 54's but I own the 35's and they are just awesome with music. They do need a sub but they aren't bad at all on their own. I have em for my two channel setup. I haven't heard a speaker I liked better for the price. 269$ when they are on sale at newegg

Oh and also let me add I talked my buddy into buying the full setup for his home theater and the center is the only downfall of the whole setup. Now don't get me wrong. It is on par with my rc-42 which is fantastic for the money. But if I go for a movie marathon in front of my over amped rc-64 all day then polish the evening off in front of the denon powered rc-42 well it leaves me wanting more. But I can tell you my best friend just upgraded from quintet 2's and the kid couldn't be happier! I have like fifty text saying how much he hated me for makin him spend the money until the day he received them. Then like fifty more saying thank you they are awesome speakers! He couldn't be happier. That's what it is all about