Heresy II 1986 Walnut Veneer Improvement

tgober

These Heresy IIs are in excellent audio shape...but a prior owner was not as careful with the exterior veneer.

I am a woodworker and capable of doing the veneer work myself. But if I decide to smooth out the external surface as is and then lay one new layer of veneer over the existing (rather than strip off all of the old veneer) would the addition of another layer of veneer have any noticeable impact on the sound of the speakers? If not, what if I decided to add (instead of veneer) some 1/4" thick walnut? Would that much exterior have a noticeable impact on the audio?

Thanks in advance for your input. As for the audio aspect...having made them look awesome, as they age and may need replacement speakers, is there a ready source for them? Tom

These Heresy IIs are in excellent audio shape...but a prior owner was not as careful with the exterior veneer.

I am a woodworker and capable of doing the veneer work myself. But if I decide to smooth out the external surface as is and then lay one new layer of veneer over the existing (rather than strip off all of the old veneer) would the addition of another layer of veneer have any noticeable impact on the sound of the speakers? If not, what if I decided to add (instead of veneer) some 1/4" thick walnut? Would that much exterior have a noticeable impact on the audio?

Thanks in advance for your input. As for the audio aspect...having made them look awesome, as they age and may need replacement speakers, is there a ready source for them? Tom

welcome to the forum Tom. bob crites has everything you will need

http://www.critesspeakers.com/

he is forum member BEC