Which to buy?

SaveTheRhinos

I am leaning more towards the reference 52 and getting the two extra speakers to make it 7.1 or the 62s and not making it 7.1. Is amazon a good retailer for this? Which retailers if I buy new do you recommend?

look up user panacea engineering on here. He is a member and a dealer. Or you can call mike at acoustic sound design, he gives great prices too. You will save money with either option over buying at amazon and both are authorized dealers.
I second this. Also check out audioholics. They gave me a great price when I was shopping.

Welcome to the forum Man. I will say this as for the finish. The wood color offered in these speakers can be jaw dropping gorgeous. I have seen many of the speakers you talk about in some beautiful stains and finishes. But I wanted to give my two cents also about the black veneer finish as well. Although I prefer the look of the georgo0us wood I previously owned a RF-83 set up in all Black. The wood on them is also beautiful in black. They do give more of a modern look and if you are to eventually set them up as a home theater etc they would look nice. If you are getting some for musical purposes id go with Hersey or Cornwalls or a nice pair of Klipschorsn. Im in the market for Klipschorns as well. Like Member PSG noted they would be difficult to move in and out of apartments etc. and they are large. Cornwalls are decent sized and I have heard them. Sound fantastic. I would def. give the RF-63s, RF-82s, RF-83s a listen if you can. They are both great for Home theater and Music. If you can muster up saving a bit more you may be able to get a set of RF-7iis with an RC-64ii Center that would be an absolute fantastic start to the future home theater. RF-7iis are amaing.

This is a fairly unbiased opinion as well as I love all of the above mentioned for different reasons and I acutally use the Klipsch THX ultra 2 system so any of these speakers look better than mine lol but performance wise for movies they cannot match IMO. Good luck Man.