SR 6 system or upgrade to SB 2s?

AUGIE

This is for a first time home theater system, I've listened to ya, and now want to forget the Quintet system and go for the SR 6 system! But in looking I could upgrade to SB2, SC1, SS1 with the 10 inch woofer for around 260 dollars more. I'm paring the speakers to my Sony STR 985 600 watt reciver. Is the SR6 adequate for my needs? DOUGDRAKE HELP!

For $1000, I would recommend piecing together your own system from the Synergy line, rather than going with the Synergy 6 package. I just got these prices from acousticsounddesign.com, they are similar to other online retailers, but quite a bit less than an authorized store will charge.

- SF1 floorstanding fronts ($380/pair)

- SC1 center channel ($180)

- SS.5 surrounds ($180/pair)

- KSW10 subwoofer ($260) or

- KSW12 subwoofer ($350)

I think this arrangement would give you a significant improvement beyond the already good sound of the Synergy 6 package which you can get for about $700 online.

agreed...12" sub over a 10"...especially if you are buying a klipsch sub (ksw line).

the SF-2's (what i have) are far better than the SF-1's...i am very happy with them. of course, they cost more...and then others will say the RF-3's are only a little more than the SF-2's...but you have to draw the line somewhere when on a budget.

good luck and let us know what you get! Smile.gif

------------------

SF-2 mains

sc-1 center

kb1.1 rears

ksw-12 sub

denon 2802

Thanks for your guys info. I went with SB 2s in the front with a SC1 center and the 12 inch sub instead of the 10, but I'm still using SS.5s in the back. Will that be okay or should I have bought the SS1s?

This message has been edited by AUGIE on 06-22-2002 at 03:22 PM

Or what about SB3's with nice stands? Dont forgot the

SB3's are the only speaker in the synergy line that

has an 8 inch woofer.

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

HK AVR-510 Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

pwk.gif

R.I.P. Paul W. Klipsch THE LEGEND! 3/9/04 - 5/5/02

Augie - I think you did quite well for the money. KSW12 was definitely worth the extra money, and the SC1 is a good center (maybe the most critical piece in the HT setup). Don't beat yourself up over the surrounds - SS1's are better, but also cost more, and I think you'll be pleased with the SS.5 results. Also, if you do get the bug to upgrade further, you can always buy the SF2's and/or SS1's down the road without having to replace everything else. Congrats and enjoy!