RW-12D with Lascala

babadono

One RW-12D is going to be pretty weak sauce in practice, unless you only listen to your La Scala whisper quiet, all the time.

Try EQ'ing them first. They can handle a lot more power, and plunk down a lot more bass than you'd think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om3BvwaE5d8

If you eventually decide to physically augment them, they'll require substantially more traditional sub, two RW-12D would be a minimum recommendation.

One RW-12D is going to be pretty weak sauce in practice, unless you only listen to your La Scala whisper quiet, all the time.

I agree. La Scalas would pull away from a sub like that pretty quickly at volumes. A single LaScala has a max SPL of 121db. It takes a pretty hefty sub to keep up with a room full of those. If you want a single sub to do the job and stay on a budget, you are gonna have to build one. Lot's of people here do.

Hi all,

Anybody running a inexpensive sub (RW-12D Newegg special for instance) with Lascalas for a little more umph down low. If so do you have 1 for each side left and right or just 1 summed mono?

babadono

I am running a single RPW-10 right now. Paid $170 for it. Yeah, it kinda helps the low end but it has left me wanting more...much more. I considered upgrading to the RW-12D from Newegg. I went the build route instead. For basically the price of two of those 12Ds, I am in the process of building a 4 ft sealed 18" Dayton Audio sub powered by an EP4000. If I need more power, I'll build another sealed 18" and have the other channel on the EP4000 run that.

Excellent!

What sub driver are you using in that box, the Dayton RSS460HO-4?

What type/thickness of wood?

Assuming 1" thick MDF, you will be looking at 29.88HZ ± 5dB. Frankly, that isn't very low for stuff like movies. The box size needs to be much larger and ported to make it movie ready. For instance, if you build an 2'' cube (8 cu ft) and provide two 17" long 4" ports, you will achieve 19HZ ± 5dB.

Yellow is 4 cu ft sealed, green line is ported 8 cu ft:

post-49931-13819831060014_thumb.jpg

What sub driver are you using in that box, the Dayton RSS460HO-4?

Yes, that's the driver I am using.

What type/thickness of wood?

3/4 MDF

I copied a build that's quite popular over on AVS forum right now...a 4 cubic foot sealed box. I wanted to start simple in the sub building realm and I enjoyed building this one so much. Learned a lot...both from things done right and mistakes. I'll see how this one does for a while. Eventually, I'd like to build either a ported or tapped horn.