rf-82 vs rf-82ii

Hello fellow forum members. I am sure this question has been answered but I am having trouble finding it. I have the opportunity to get some rf-82 at a fair discount. A friend of mine is moving so he needs to unload them. I was considering getting rf-82ii because I am upgrading from the Quintets after almost 10 years and moving into a much larger place. Now my question is, is there a difference between the two in audio? Cosmetics doesn't matter to me. Is the newer one better than the old? I don't have the luxary of listening to them side by side. I know this can be somewhat subjective but I am curious what others that have done it have to say. Thanks.

The mk II series has updated drivers and a new crossover supposed to help tame the horn fatigue. The tweeter also has linear travel suspension (a trickle-down technology from Palladium series). Now, how much of these gets translated to tengible, real-world improvement is another question since I never heard the non-mk II series.

Moving up from the Quintets to the RF-82 or RF-82 II will be a huge improvement. Do you mostly use these for movies or music? For movies, either of them will be great. For music, the RF-82 II may have an edge.

I think if you like the sound of the RF-82 and can get a very good price from your friend, by all means go for it. However, bear in mind that if you intend to put these into your HT setup, you will need to find the matching center RC-62 (non-mk II).

Generally, you can get a open-box or new pair of RF-82 II with a good discount. Call up some authorized internet dealers to get a quote and see how much of a price difference it is, and then decide from there.

The biggest difference is the xo point for the HF driver, 1400 vs 2000 Hz, respectively for the RF 82II vs the RF 82. I have not heard them side by side but, I would think the midrange of the newer speaker is a little better. With that said, I love my RF 7 and and consider the midrange to be excellent. The newer RF 7II's have a lower xo for the HF driver. 1200 vs 2200 Hz. I don't find my speakers to be harsh since MCACC does the EQ.

Thanks for the responses guys. Eaux I use my system mostly for movies but I do like to put on some music and the wife likes music too while she cleans. I've seen some open box stuff around from distributors and the pricing is not too bad. So I can call any distributor and speak to a salesman for a better price? Most authorized distributors are selling them at MSRP. Anyone, or any one of the sellers that you recommend talking to, or just call them all and see who can give me the best deal?

Many dealers such as Acoustic Sound Design and Sound Distributors tend to offer better pricing than MSRP when you call them up. I think ASD may have some deals on a complete system (speakers + receiver) from time to time.