oppo105 connections

gary p

About to order a 105. I have ripped all my CDs onto 32g flash drives in 24bit pcm wave. I plug them into my receiver USB and some sound great, others good to ok. I want to take advantage of what I assume is a better dac the sabre32 in the oppo. I have an 83 and always been satisfied with quality. My question is should I use 2 channel plugs to the receiver, or use 7 channel unbalanced straight to amp which are open cause I'm using balanced to receiver.then I have to flip all the switches when I want music but is shorter path. If I use all hdmi am I losing benefits of the analog dac ? Might as well get the 103. If I connect to receiver 2 channel or 7 channel which are available is it just gonna use the marantz dac ? Your thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks. Gary.

I have a slightly different setup than you do. I run straight from my 105 to my 5-channel amp. When I listen to music, the 105 automatically switches to stereo (L/R). When I watch a movie, it will go back to Multi-Channel. I guess with your setup, I would go from the 105 Multi-Channel Outs directly to your amp. This will utilize the Sabre32 DAC's. If you want processing of audio, then use HDMI Out from the Oppo. If you want to go strictly HDMI Out from the Oppo, then I would suggest the 103. The main difference between the 103 and 105 is the analog audio section. I don't use a pre/pro or AVR. I use my 105 for those duties. Hope this helps. Let me know if I confused you.

Scott

Mongo ,I think your right here.My set-up is a little different than others or I have not heard from anyone about the same way I wired mine . HDMI cable runs from the new Samsung CableVision supplied box into the t.v..Out of t.v.another HDMI cable to the out port on my Yamaha RX-V665 to p/u on screen settings and YPAO adjustments. Then also I have a Toslink Optical from cable box to optical port of the Yamaha.In this way I get to have picture w/o sound and tunes at the same time. I do this all the time for alot of sporting events. Yes I would have liked just using one cable but it would not allow for my veiwing habits.

Mongo ,I think your right here.My set-up is a little different than others or I have not heard from anyone about the same way I wired mine . HDMI cable runs from the new Samsung CableVision supplied box into the t.v..Out of t.v.another HDMI cable to the out port on my Yamaha RX-V665 to p/u on screen settings and YPAO adjustments. Then also I have a Toslink Optical from cable box to optical port of the Yamaha.In this way I get to have picture w/o sound and tunes at the same time. I do this all the time for alot of sporting events. Yes I would have liked just using one cable but it would not allow for my veiwing habits.

Toss the Toslink. It can't carry HD signals. Just use HDMI between the cable/TV/receiver. To watch TV with no sound, lower the volume to 0, since you have HDMI from cable box to TV. Then, select your source on the receiver and listen to music. I do that with my setup, which is basically yours without the Toslink.

• 2 weeks later...

TOSlink can carry HD stereo audio (up to 24-bit, 96-kHz IIRC). And in this case it seems to have been done to allow video to be sent directly to the TV while the Yamaha AVR is playing audio from a different source. A better option is probably to enable the audio return channel (ARC) via HDMI from the TV to the AVR, allowing elimination of the TOSlink cable. Assuming of course that both the TV and AVR support ARC...

TOSlink can carry HD stereo audio (up to 24-bit, 96-kHz IIRC). And in this case it seems to be done to allow video to be sent directly to the TV while the Yamaha AVR is playing audio from a different source. A better option is probably to enable the audio return channel (ARC) via HDMI from the TV to the AVR, allowing elimination of the TOSlink cable. Assuming of course that both the TV and AVR support ARC...

You are correct. Toslink can be used for HD audio. Just not video.