DBB upgrade jbl 2226 or jbl 2242

shepjk01

Been a while since I have posted as life(3&5 year old) have kept me busy. I'm thinking of swapping out woofers in my dbb's for either a pair of jbl 2226j's or 2242's. If I go with the 2226's I could use the same bottom cabinet just change the port length and crossover woofer section. If I go with the 2242's I would have to build an a whole new bottom plus crossover. My question is does anyone have any experience with comparing a jbl 2226 or 2242 vs a klipsch k33. I already have a pair of jbl 2226's and 2242's so I would only need another pair. I'm mainly looking for better bottom end definition and a little more kick in the 60-120hz range without using subs. Any help would be very appreciated.

When I molded both the 2226 and 2242 in winisd from 50hz on up the 2242's only gain 2db over the 2226's. Is it worth the total bottom end rebuild to use the 2242's in a 3 way vs the 2226's. As I have not heard either jbl how do they sound compared to the k33?

"When I molded both the 2226 and 2242 in winisd from 50hz on up the
2242's only gain 2db over the 2226's."

That sounds about right.

"Is it worth the total bottom end
rebuild to use the 2242's in a 3 way vs the 2226's."

Hard to say, a value judgement. The 2242 is a much better woofer, and will go lower. It is expensive though.

"As I have not heard
either jbl how do they sound compared to the k33?"

Either should have better midrange in the 400hz region than the K33. I've heard the 2226 used to over 1Khz and still sound good.

"kick in the 60-120hz range"

Use an EQ, changing drivers isn't going to do what you want.

What are you doing for the crossover? A level mis-match of a fraction of a dB will destroy the 'kick' of any loudspeaker.

Right now I'm using a passive network which is a variant of an alk universal. The woofer section is changed for the dual k33. I will have to modify it for use with the dual 2226's. I'm still going to use the 2242's but as subwoofers and tune them to 25hz as jbl does. I'm seriously considering going active 3way instead of passive as I have enough amps, I would just need an active crossover maybe something like the behringer dcx2496.