Tube Help

I just took my AES PH-1 (phono stage) tubes down to Skycraft to have them tested and ended up dropping and breaking my JAN Phillips 5814A. Really par for the course for me. Anyway, I need to get a tube and fast. I have been playing at least 3 or 4 albums a day, and won't be happy until I get it up and running again. BTW, the JAN Phillips 6SL7WGT's tested at 90 and the 5814 tested at 86. Are those good numbers?

For those in the know, I was wondering if you could give me some advice on the 5814 replacement and where to get it, as well as whether you would replace the 6SL7WGT's? If so, what would you replace them with?

Thanks,

Mike

calling mobilehomeless, calling mobilehomeless

please come to the red line, mobilehomeless

cwm41.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Hey Mike,

Funny you should post about JAN Philips 5814As since I just picked up 2 about an hour ago. I bought them from a place locally in town here in Victoria called Pacific TV. They have a website at:

http://www.pacifictv.ca/

I was able to just pop over and pick them up but they ship anywhere as well. Their prices are good and they are very easy to deal with. If you email them or call them today they could probably get them to you this week if you get them to ship by courier. BTW they charge US$6.80 a piece for the 5814s. I also picked up some Sylvania 5963s for $4.60 a piece.

I hope you get the music going soon! I am waiting for a replacement EL34 to be sent to me for one that ignited so I feel your pain!

Kevin

------------------

- 1980 Cornwalls

- Consonance Ella w/EL34s

- Bottlehead Foreplay w/all upgrades

- Philips CD360 into a SoundStream DAC-1

- Sansui TU-9500 Tuner

Hey again Mike,

I was just over at the Bottlehead forum on AA and was looking up some info on 12AU7/5814/5963/6189 and came up with some other places to buy the JAN Philips 5814A.

http://www.pacifictv.ca - $6.80

http://www.thetubestore.com - $8.95

http://www.partsexpress.com - $5.80 or less if bought in larger quantities

Hope this helps!

Kevin

------------------

- 1980 Cornwalls

- Consonance Ella w/EL34s

- Bottlehead Foreplay w/all upgrades

- Philips CD360 into a SoundStream DAC-1

- Sansui TU-9500 Tuner

I first might wonder if anyone that has heard these JAN Philips versions of the 12AU7 compared them to various other NOS tubes? I have a handful of samples of these tubes and have generally not been happy with them. While the JAN Philips 12AU7 variations have been cheap, especially compared to NOS variations of the 12AU7, I have found them none too sublime sounding. They seem to work adequately, but do not have the best resolution and tend to be more hard sounding and not as plush nor grain free. Still, I personally would not use these tubes in my amps or preamps, although I have in the past. Many dont mind them, however. Are their worse tubes? Yes, but there are better ones as well.

Among great 12AU7 are the Mullard Long Plate 12AU7, Also, the Amperex Bugle Boy 12AU7 is a good choice but dont get ripped off with some imitation. The Cifte 12AU7 is not that bad as well and pretty cheap. But I prefer the Mullards. I have some RCA Clear Tops in my EICO at the moment that are nice (thanks to Carl, the gentleman that sent them).

As for the JAN Philips 6SL7WGT, I have the 6SN7 version and while it is clean, I dont find it good in either my Cary or the Moondogs. Email me again and I I'll shoot you some recs.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Kelly,

Since I can't get you to answer my Emails, can you give your tube preferences here? I would like to get one 5814A/12AU7 and two 6SL7's. I'm looking for tube brand, where to get it and how much to pay for it.

I am also in the market for a tube tester. There are a number of them on eBay. Can you tell me the ones that are worth going after?

Thanks,

Mike