Denon POA 8300/8200

jhawk92

Ok all you Klipsch/Denon lovers out there. I seem to remember someone having one of these units as part of their HT. I know both are THX certified, 120W per channel (3-ch for the 8300 and 2-ch for the 8200), but what is the difference, if any, between the 8200 and the POA-5200 which I have now. It is THX Ultra certified and also 120W x2. I do know both the 8200 and 8300 are discontinued. So would I see a difference in sound quality/clarity if I had the 8300 and then two 5200s?

All these discussions about bass management have me thinking about using the receiver for its DACs only, and having separate amplification. That way, all the signals could come from the reciever, through an ICBM, and then off to the individiual amps. However, I need 7-ch of amplification, so that's why the POA-8300 is interesting since it would add the extra channel I need. Then, I would only require another 2-ch amp to be ready for DVD-A or SACD. This route would certainly require less $$ than a new receiver with bass management. It would also allow me to have multiple sources running to the receiver and all the output would still have the ICBM option. As I stand now, the ICBM would have to go between the source and my receiver, since I only have one outboard amp.

Any help would be appreciated.

This message has been edited by jhawk92 on 06-25-2002 at 01:29 PM

You could also buy boa's Acurus A200X5 and then you wouldn't need anything else. Smile.gif What this also does is gives you some flexibility... whenever you are ready for a real good pre/pro, you will already have your amplification. I think you could get it for a pretty good price too.

I have the Acurus A200X3 driving my front soundstage and I am pretty pleased with it. I like it more than the amps in my Denon for sure. Much fuller and better bottom end. Having one less amp also means you don't have to find a place for it. Something to consider anyway...

Mike

Edit: There's a POA 5200 for sale in this thread...

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum9/HTML/002234.html

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 06-25-2002 at 01:39 PM

Mike-

Yeah, that's what got me thinking of adding two more amps to the system. The only thing is then I have spent a bunch of money on the receiver and not using the on-board power supplies there. I really like the way Denon sounds with Klipsch. I got to listen to Chickey's system in NJ, and it sounded good, but I think I preferred the Denon sound to his amps. I forget what he has.

Well, things to keep in mind. Thanks for the input.

Boa-

Tell me more about this Aucrus.