kg3.5 refurb questions

simoco

Hi all, just picked up a pair of kg3.5 speakers and got a few questions for you all. Got them for a steal (80 bucks!) and want to get these back in tip top shape. The port tube is loose on one speaker and easily comes out. I wrapped the base with tape so it was a tighter fit and it seems to work fine now. Was it originally glued in? Also what is the preferred way for getting a good seal on the tweeter horn to cabinet? I have seen some recommend rope caulk and other closed cell window gasket/speaker tape. One of the horns no longer has the thin gasket and figured I would do the same thing to both speakers. Thanks for any info on addressing either issue.

Quote: Hi all, just picked up a pair of kg3.5 speakers and got a few questions
for you all. Got them for a steal (80 bucks!) and want to get these back
in tip top shape. The port tube is loose on one speaker and easily
comes out. I wrapped the base with tape so it was a tighter fit and it
seems to work fine now. Was it originally glued in? Also what is the
preferred way for getting a good seal on the tweeter horn to cabinet? I
have seen some recommend rope caulk and other closed cell window
gasket/speaker tape. One of the horns no longer has the thin gasket and
figured I would do the same thing to both speakers. Thanks for any info
on addressing either issue.

Well you know that if I recommend foam to you then that will start a debate same as if I were to recomment rope caulk. In the end you would know no more than you do now and you would end up doing what you are going to do anyway and that is to make up you mind to do one or the other which appeals to you most and ignore the conflicting advice making it all pretty much pointlless.

Since you want a suggestion I will give you one. Why don't you experiment with your horn on a blank piece of of chip board. Cut out a hole for the horn then try a closed cell foam gasket 1/16" thick on one side of the board and then remove the horn and install it on the opposite side of the board with rope caulk. This way you get to experience both products and you learn something so that you can then make an imformed decission of how you want to go about sealing your drivers, horns and terminal cups on you KG speakers.

As for your reflex port you can easily glue them in place quickly and securly using some yellow wood workers glue which is cheap fast grabbing fast setting, non toxic and designed for wood and paper products. I think that about covers it. If you decide to re fit your vent tube with glue I would suggest that you take some 2 inch wide painters masking tape and use that to mask over the wooden baffle right up to the very edge of the vent hole. This will provide some simple and easily removable protection should you accidentially end up getting glue on your baffle. If you know that you have a sloppy record a mile long then cover the whole baffle with some newspaper. Better safe than sorry and it only takes a minute to do.

Welcome aboard have fun read the archives there is a world of very cool stuff in there. You can search under the KG3.5 heading and see all the discussions which have occured regarding the 3.5. Best regards Moray James.