FS: Boston Acoustics VR965 towers w/built in powered subs - Road Trip Special

Rick

Here's a pair of Boston Acoustics VR965 towers. They are in what I'd consider about a 7/10 on the Audiogon scale. The only issue with them is that one of the binding posts on one of the speakers is broken (it was like that when I picked them up). It is an easy fix, but I didn't bother as I was still able to get a solid connection with bare wire.

Other than that, they perform properly and look very presentable. With careful placement, the built in subs can sound surprisingly good. For someone on a budget, these create a near full range sound, and ain't too shabby when used in a 2 channel setup as I've been using them for 4 months. The midrange and highs is where these speakers really shine though (IMHO). The Lynnfield tweeters are detailed, but not harsh. I really like this tweeter, it reminds me of the one in the Energy RC Series speakers. These are easy to drive as well.

I don't believe it would be economically feasible for myself or a buyer to ship these due to the size and weight of these, and the fact that I do not have the original boxes. Therefore, this is a local sale only at or near zip 14845. I am willing to drive up to 50 miles for no extra charge to meet up with a serious buyer. Any farther than that, and we can talk about compensation for my gas.

My asking price is $250.

photo VR965003_zpsbe50e04c.jpg

photo VR965005_zps516f41c8.jpg

photo VR965008_zps9451bda8.jpgphoto VR965007_zps7290cedd.jpg

photo VR965010_zps11d56e20.jpg

More info:

3-way, powered floorstanding loudspeaker with system-specific crossovers

80-watt integrated amplifier

8" powered subwoofer with DCD™ driver offers extended excursion

Side-firing woofer design conserves floor space in home theater applications

BassTrac® circuitry eliminates distortion

Single 4½" midrange driver

1" VR® tweeter with anodized aluminum dome, AMD™, and extruded aluminum heat sink

Tight, point-source driver alignment for precise imaging and wider dispersion

Slim enclosure and cloth grille create a clean visual profile

MagnaGuard® magnetic shielding prevents video interference

Internally braced cabinets eliminate unwanted resonance

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Frequency Response: 29-20000 Hz +/- 3db

Recommended Amplifier Power - 15-150 watts

Nominal Impedance - 8 ohms

Sensitivity - 90db

__________________________________________________ ________________________

42-1/2 H x 6-1/2 W x 14" D

Weight - 50 lbs.

Here's a pair of Boston Acoustics VR965 towers. They are in what I'd consider about a 7/10 on the Audiogon scale. The only issue with them is that one of the binding posts on one of the speakers is broken (it was like that when I picked them up). It is an easy fix, but I didn't bother as I was still able to get a solid connection with bare wire.

Other than that, they perform properly and look very presentable. With careful placement, the built in subs can sound surprisingly good. For someone on a budget, these create a near full range sound, and ain't too shabby when used in a 2 channel setup as I've been using them for 4 months. The midrange and highs is where these speakers really shine though (IMHO). The Lynnfield tweeters are detailed, but not harsh. I really like this tweeter, it reminds me of the one in the Energy RC Series speakers. These are easy to drive as well.

I don't believe it would be economically feasible for myself or a buyer to ship these due to the size and weight of these, and the fact that I do not have the original boxes. Therefore, this is a local sale only at or near zip 14845. I am willing to drive up to 50 miles for no extra charge to meet up with a serious buyer. Any farther than that, and we can talk about compensation for my gas.

My asking price is $250.

photo VR965003_zpsbe50e04c.jpg

photo VR965005_zps516f41c8.jpg

photo VR965008_zps9451bda8.jpgphoto VR965007_zps7290cedd.jpg

photo VR965010_zps11d56e20.jpg

Great looking speakers Rick.... Good Luck!

• 1 month later...

I am putting these back up for sale. However, I believe one of the woofers needs replaced. Recently, I noticed a rattling type of sound coming from the rear port of one of the towers. I figured it was simply the port tube or something else loose inside the cabinet. I removed the side mounted woofer to take a look inside, and I could find nothing loose. I then played some bass heavy music while holding the woofer in my hand, and it is clearly an issue with the woofer. I can't find any tears in the cone or rubber surrounds, and the entire magnet assembly is covered by the shielding device, so I can't be sure what the issues is. I am thinking it must be either the spider, or most likely the voice coil?

Mind you, the speakers still sound great and I have only noticed this issue with a few CD's with powerful and deep bass: Holly Cole's "Don't Smoke In Bed" and "Temptation" SACD's, and Shelby Lynne's "Just A Little Lovin'". As long as you don't turn up the level knob to the built in sub amp too high, you may never even notice (I keep it around the 10 o'clock position). Or, you could search for a replacement woofer, though I emailed Boston Acoustics and they no longer have them in stock.

With that, I will now let them go for $200. Due to the size and weight of these, I will absolutely NOT ship them. Local pickup only, or I will drive up to 100 miles each way from 14845 to meet up with a buyer. If they don't sell in a week or so, I'll try to part them out.

I'm going to give it a couple more days, then I'll be looking to part these out. I think it would be a shame to do that as they still sound good, and if one could find a replacement woofer for the one, they'd be 100%. Like I said earlier, most of the time it is not even noticeable that one of them is bad. I'm sure an aftermarket woofer (probably a better one at that) could easily and relatively inexpensively be found.

As a last gasp effort before parting them out, I'm reducing the price to $150 for a local pickup. I'll drive up to 100 miles to meet up with a buyer for an additional $25 to help cover my fuel...