Location of Klipsch RF-7 II speakers

Dartvidar

Does any one know how close to the front wall I can place a Klipsch RF-7 II speaker before I compromise the sound quality? I sitting and planing a hifi/Cinema room, and I have two choices of room design. In one of the choices do I need to place the front speakers close as possible to the front wall without compromise the sound quality, because I will have a sound transparent wall in front of the speakers. I can not test by my self, so I just want to know whats your experience?

Thanks

The question on how close to the wall can a speaker be located, is a little open ended, since a couple of inches can change the reflection of the sound quiet a bit. I have my RF 7s around 9 in. from the wall. They are set as small and xo at 80 so there is not much coming from the ports. One foot dose not sound as good which is why I mentioned a few inches may make a differernce. In the end you will have to experiment with speaker placement. As tkdamerica said 18-24 in. should work for the vast majority of people to reduce early reflections.

Derrickdj1 are you happy with the sound when you have them 9" from the wall, have you tried with some more distance?

Yes, I played with various distances like 1 1/2 ft. ect. and found that around 9 in. worked for me. The distance has to do with the bass, tonality and size of the sound stage in the room. I personally find the Klipsch speakers to be bass heavy and have liked the bass reproduction of the subwoofers. A lot of people like letting the mains do all they can and I like letting the subs do all that they can and never favored the real low xo's for a system.

Using a higher xo means less speaker cone breakup, better damping, up to 6 db increase in dynamic range for the mid bass and just overall better performance of the mid bass of the system which is what humans hear more easily. Now how audible this is in a particular system is up to the listener. But, from a power management perspective running the speakers as small as more benefits. At around 300 Hz the power is 50/50 to the HF and LF. as you go lower there is a dramatic shift to the LF, as much as 90-95% for LF. It also make speaker placement somewhat easier not having to worry about speaker port/wall reflections and boomy bass or increase reverberations in the room.