Speaker Question

ncnofear

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. Yes, the B-20's would be your back surrounds (rear surround speakers) and the S-20s would be your surrounds (side surround speakers)

Keep in mind if you are just using a receiver, it might reduce the overall sound quality by adding two additional speakers. That was the case with me. I had a Yamaha RX-V 1800 ($1200 when new). It claimed it was 130 x 7 but like many other receivers, 3rd party bench test proved it was more like 130 x 7, 100 x 5 and only 55 x 7. I noticed a huge decrease in overall volume and dynamics when I added surround back speakers to make a 7.1. So much so, I sold them and went back to a 5.1 setup and could not be happier.

BTW, there are no dumb questions...ask away.

depend on the size of your room I would use another pair of S-20 as rear. thanks to the Tractrix they would produce much wider and crisper, brighter SRS sound.

my brother in law HT room is pretty small and very narrow, two chair and 2' passage between them completely filling up width of the room. if we would put SRS speakers on the side walls they would be on the way and someone would bump into them all the time, so we tried pair of SS.5 and put them at the rear wall. I guess due to the width of the room and wide spread of the sound it didn't sound right: it felt like sound was bouncing/reflecting between L and R wall and at the certain moments it even echoes a bit. his old sony receiver does not have any calibration EQ so no matter what we did we couldn't get rid of the reflection.

recently we put small bookshelf Polk speakers in exactly same place and sound improved dramatically. at the same time I love how SS-1 sound in the my 9' wide room.

so if you room is wide enough get another pair of the dedicated surround speakers.I think even s-10 will work perfectly.

but it just my opinion and might be wrong.

:)