Another new La Scala (video).

Quiet_Hollow

I don't know either. [:P]

One thing is for sure (and maybe Picky or Mallette can back me up on this) is that good sound tends to record well.

I've seen so many videos where the people that where filming insisted that it sounded better in person than on camera....Yeah, some devices have high passed mics, and other are hardwired for low bit-rate video, but it doesn't bode too well when applying the same logic to videos of those audiophile conventions where you know everything was checked over with a fine tooth comb and the listeners supposedly have exquisite aural taste. [*-)]

I initially had strong reservations about posting this video, but then it grew on me while editing.

It was the same source material I shot in a previous video and I personally didn't think it was that great mainly because the wide-angle lens was interfering with the mic the entire time. That was messing up the vocals, as the lens sits only a half inch away from the mic. It's really apparent on the last song when I pan around and the arc of the lens actually crosses right underneath the microphone.

I also felt the room sounded a little more saturated with mids because of the higher playback level, but when I reviewed the take, it was quite apparent that doing so had improved the dynamic range of recording so much so that all the other stuff sounded negligible. Dynamics rule the roost there I gather, and posting the this video provides a great means to compare the effect.

I perceive the vocals sounding smoother in video #4 where I used my normal lens, but the noise floor of the audio track is definitely "in-your-face". [:$]

About the music in the video:

1. Dia de Yemanjá - Cibelle

"The Now Sound of Brazil"

31TCP604ZML.jpg

I used this song because of the opening bass line. Although I'm not particularly a fond of how wet her voice is mixed, I find the stripped-down drum and bass line really catchy.

Another song that gets a lot of play time from this album is Kruder's remix of Tanto Tempo by Bebel.

Picked up this compilation concurrently with "Chill Out in Paris Vol.
4"
while at Denver International Airport on layover in 2005. It was a good time, I was headed places, took a bump and got a free ticket which the GF and I later used for a "honey moon" of sorts.

2. All Apologies - performed by Sinéad O'Connor

"Universal Mother"

1618352.jpg

I used this track because of the juxtaposition of a female artist gracing a popular grunge song, not to mention that I feel it's mixed very well. Folks around my age should immediately recognize the tune and identify the singer. It unexpectedly reaches out and grabs the ears for a listen.

I bought this album sometime in 2001 while I was in Texas. I picked it up initially for Thank You For Hearing Me, only to discover it was peppered with a couple of other well-recorded vocal performances, In This Heart for example.

3. It Could Be Sweet - Portishead

"Dummy"

35855314.jpg

I picked this track because of that front-and-center bass line that really shows off how well the THT subwoofer and La Scala can work together to deliver classic "house" style bottom end.

I first heard this album while I was in high school..and immediately took to liking it...Acquired a copy early in '98 after CD-RW had hit the scene and was becoming affordable. I was a network admin at the college newspaper, and that year we purchased a burner for archiving digital copies of our paste-ups. I bought my own media and made a duplicate of my sister's CD. Laser rot eventually forced me to pickup an official used copy of Portishead from Amazon.

PS - I still have my very first CD-RW...a compilation of MP3's downloaded via Hotline™, converted to AIFF, and burnt to disc. It is that same 15-year-old compilation disc that I use to show friends and relatives that the MP3 format sucked as much back then as it does now. Even in '98 I had HK Soundsticks for the trusty iMac, and one had to be essentially stone-deaf not to hear the difference between them and CD audio.

It would be hard to tell them from the real thing.

Played back on the right equipment, some of 'em ain't bad.

No doubt. If it's of any consolation, the youtube video above is 256 kbit/s 2-pass VBR MP3. I can't get around that, and that's pretty good in its own right...but where generation loss is concerned, MP3 is out the door no matter what, at any bit rate.