iPod to DAC....

RonW.

OK, so I bought the MHDT Renaissance II DAC and my CD player is connected with a TOSLink optical cable. So here's the question: how can I connect my iPod to the DAC? What type of cable do I need? The DAC has two open inputs a BNC and a RCA.

I tried a 1/8" stereo male to RCA female adapter and a RCA male to RCA male audio cable and a No Go....

OK experts, so what next to try....

If you're using the headphone out from the iPod it won't work. The iPod is sending out an analog signal through that output so there's nothing digital for it to convert. You'll need some cord (if there even is one) that connects the wide connector on the bottom to the DAC.

If you're using the headphone out from the iPod it won't work. The iPod is sending out an analog signal through that output so there's nothing digital for it to convert. You'll need some cord (if there even is one) that connects the wide connector on the bottom to the DAC.

Such a cord exists. The FiiO guys make one called a "LOD" (Line-Out Digital)" cord. I have one to use my iPod with my FiiO E07K headphone amp/DAC. I've never tried it with other DACs, though. My Pioneer Elite N-50 network streamer/DAC has a USB port on the front where I can plug an iPod in directly to it.

Amazon has several different versions available. I have the little L-shaped "L9" one for my headphone amp. However, I would imagine for the purposes here, the 20-inch "L10" version would be more appropriate. Seems one can be had for the princely sum of about $9. [;)]

41hlU-2z9gL.jpg

They also make iPod connector to RCA cords. I've seen them in the past on eBay made of high quality components. You can also get them on Amazon cheaply.

Here are two from eBay at differing prices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Docking-to-RCA-plug-cable-fits-ipod-iphone-/280883666113

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handmade-LINE-OUT-DOCK-TO-RCA-CABLE-FOR-IPHONE-IPOD-NEW-100cm-1M-3Feet-length-/321217150339

Chad