Insurance For Shipping Klipschorns To Europe

Tamino

Hello everybody,

Some time ago I considered selling my speakers because we decided to move to Europe, and later several insightful advices from the members of this forum convinced me to take the speakers with me.

Since then we have moved and found a new place to leave. Right now we are preparing to ship the speakers from the U.S.A. to Europe.

Here is my question:

We decided to ship more stuff than just the speakers, and are ordering a container to be shipped. Now we are having a quite unexpected complication, minor but somewhat annoying.

It is very hard to find an insurance company that would cover our stuff. They all agree to sell insurance only if we hire one of the big companies for packing our container, and we plan to hire a small local company for that job. Apparently, from the point of view of insurance companies this is "self-packed", and for some metaphysical reasons they seem to have problem with that.

Can somebody recommend an insurance company that would cover sending a "self-packed" container with relatively valuable content (a pair of Klipschorns being the most valuable single item) from the U.S.A. to Europe? We do not care whether the company is based in the U.S.A. or in Europe.

Thank you!

P.S. As my question is closely "sale-related", I hope that opening this topic in "Garage Sale" is not an abuse!

Edited by Tamino

Hello Tamino -

I shipped 2 K-Horns to Tokyo, Japan 2 years ago, without a scratch! Freight Dynamics in Minneapolis picked them up, crated in plywood and insured them, shipped FedEx Air, for less than an air-only quote from several carriers. Two years before that, I shipped two JBL S1's to Khazakhstan - again, no issues. PM for details, glad to help. Cheers!