RF-83 Question......

philly0116

I picked up a pair of RF-83's last night. What do I need to really make these babies sing? Do I need high power or just clean low power? Would a nice 50 watt NAD amp work well or do I need something closer to 100wpc or more?? Any input appreciated as always!

Edited by philly0116

I picked up a pair of RF-83's last night. What do I need to really make these babies sing? Do I need high power or just clean low power? Would a nice 50 watt NAD amp work well or do I need something closer to 100wpc or more?? Any input appreciated as always!

Philly,

The 83's prefer more "clean" power like my 63's and RF-7's. I do think 50w/ch may be selling the 83's short but a good quality 100w/ch amp should handle the task.

Just a thought, my buddy Jeff Tubbs(jtubbs) may be selling his B&K Reference 4430(200w/ch) 3-channel amp very soon. He recently bought a 5-channel Anthem amp and wants the 2-channel version to have all matching Anthems in his family room. He has been driving RF-7's with it since he bought the amp from me a couple of years ago.

He lives in Arkansas also. I just sent him a text to see if he is up and about.

Bill

Philly,

The 83's prefer more "clean" power like my 63's and RF-7's. I do think 50w/ch may be selling the 83's short but a good quality 100w/ch amp should handle the task.

Just a thought, my buddy Jeff Tubbs(jtubbs) may be selling his B&K Reference 4430(200w/ch) 3-channel amp very soon. He recently bought a 5-channel Anthem amp and wants the 2-channel version to have all matching Anthems in his family room. He has been driving RF-7's with it since he bought the amp from me a couple of years ago.

He lives in Arkansas also. I just sent him a text to see if he is up and about.

Bill

Thanks for the response! I just got a great deal on a Haffler DH-200 thats super clean and 100wpc! Please let me know on the B & K though!

Philly using the NAD on the HF terminals and a strong amp on the LF terminals IMO would give you outstanding results. This is the path I have taken with my setup. Having power you don't need will always be more beneficial than needing power you don't have. I am currently running my RC7 with the B&K before that, the amp powered the LF terminals on my RF7's.