I didn't take balls to fix the SME....

Mallette

I was tracking too low, an issue that shows my age. At 1.5 grams, which also happens to be Grado's recommendation, I am getting no resonance issues.

In spite of the anti-Joe forces, I LIKE my Grado. OTOH, I like anything that sounds good...especially if it is paid for.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

Average system component age: 30 years.

Performance: Timeless

One item you might want to pick up is a the "test record" from HiFi News. If have found this to be ESSENTIAL over the years for dialing in a cartridge. It's about 30 bucks, but well worth EVERY penny.

Enjoy the 3009--it's a hell of a tonearm and still an excellent choice--remarkable for something that's been in production for about 40 years!

I get a thrill just looking at it. I guess it starts making me look like an analog nut, but the fact is I really LIKE being involved with the sound. With digital, you are reduced to voodoo if you don't like the sound...or in my case, dropping it in the nearest dumpster.

I hope to build that 700.00 miracle CD player in September or October, and we'll see if that helps.

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett

I am looking for an enexpensive(sp) but "good" cartidge. I am mostly into SACD but would like to get the best from my old LP's. I gave up my Sumico BPS to my neighbor across the steet because she listens to LP's all the time.

If I were buying at the moment, I'd probably choose the Grado Reference Platinum at 299.95. If you don't mind a "throughaway" (I do...I lost two styli to toddlers in the last two years), the Blue Point moving coil is highly regarded at 249.00.

Also good bets in low cost moving magnet would be the Grado Prestige Gold at 179.00, and the Shure line.

You'll get more opinions on cartridges than you can handle if you start a thread.

Dave

Dave

------------------

David A. Mallett