RB-75 questions

mcp

I must admit that I'm partial to monitors (albeit large ones, in this case) and have always been intrigued by the 75's. Provided I can snag a pair, what kind of tube power will I need to drive them in a smallish room (17 x 13 x 7.5)?

Work is eating up all my time these days and I find myself listening to digital (CDs ripped to a server) more than vinyl. That being said, would love to return to tubes to tame those CDs...your thoughts would be appreciated...

Edited by mcp

How high is up?

100W and a sub will peel the paint off the walls.

You might listen quiet enough to use a 20W amp without a sub.

I must admit that I don't crank it very much these days...mostly medium and low volumes. I have never had good luck with a sub in this room and don't want the hassle of trying to dial one in. I would like to find a nice 10 - 20 wpc vintage tube amp, if it will do the job. I have found with several Klipsch models, that the sensitivity rating don't always tell the whole story...i.e. didn't like my Heresy's with a small tube amp; sounded better with more solid state power. Just wondering if the 75's were like that. I have a very nice Denon POA-2400 (200 wpc) amp, but would really prefer to return to EL84's or EL34's if possible.

Been listening to my RB-75s a lot over the past six months in 2-channel (they are primarily the front of my HT). Basement room 15 x 12 (with a bay window setback) and 7 high. Been trying to convince myself I don't need the belles. And in truth, I don't.

My weekly driver is a Glow Audio One, 5W - EL84 integrated. Plenty of power. Never past 12 oclock postion when pushing the volume. Usually around 9-10 oclock pos.

If I have time during the weekend for an extended session, and the neighbors are probably gone (old attached row homes) I move to a Scott 222C (which you may remember selling to me). Both of these can get LOUD in the room with room to spare. I keep an old Marantz 1060 to run the occasional vinyl. All of these 5W, 20W, 30W are more than plenty for the RB-75s to fill this room. They could sound better because I have them too high sitting on top of the belles. On a side, I have a set of H-I which I think sound fine with the above. Different, but fine.

I also listen to ripped CDs to a NAS or use MOG.

I think you might be surprised and really like them, but you will never have a problem unloading them if needed.