Granite sheets for khorn corner improvements?

raburns

Anyone ever had granite cut for finishing a corner to help a khorn? I think you still need the sealing strips of foam.

If the corners are deep inside the house, it might be O.K., but on a wall bordering the exterior of the house, just over the studs, the granite would transmit the sound to the outside world and the neighbors more than ordinary walls (I think). If the granite extended the minimum required full 4 feet from the corner (or more) it might be too reflective of the midrange, and perhaps the treble. We have 3/4 plywood over 16" O.C. 2 x 6 studs, with 5/8" sheetrock over that (staggered seams), with the plywood screwed and glued to the studs, and the sheetrock screwed and glued (over its entire surface) to the plywood. It sounds good, and there are no major dips in response. The old walls were weak, the plaster danced in and out, and there were a few dips in the mid bass.

I am with Gary, I don't know about it transmitting to the neighbors(as I am not a professional in that region). But I as well am bracing the studs within the 4 feet plus using plywood that is glued and screwed to the studs. I will then use heavy drywall such as 5/8" that will be glued and screwed as well. Plus I would think granite would be pricey.

Yeah... you'd definitely need the foam strips and a couple of bodybuilders to move the granite around - can you imagine how much a couple of 4' x 4' squares would weigh?! Besides, granite is quite brittle so you'd have to take care how you put them together and very cautious when moving them - placement options being a nice benefit of using false corners. Also, its quite reflective and not as good a material sound-wise for backing Khorns as well-damped plywood or even MDF. Of course, I've never used granite in this application so if you do go ahead with the project, please let us know how it works out.

If the granite extended the minimum required full 4 feet from the corner (or more) it might be too reflective of the midrange, and perhaps the treble.

For a discussion of taming midrange and treble reflections right near Khorns, see:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/131163-corner-horn-imaging-faq/

Also, search the Klipsch forums for "Artto's Klipschorn room." I doubt if either of these guys would advocate a bright reflecting surface where your marble would be.